Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exeterbohemian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
brooklyn
for the past week or so i've been having some rather disturbing problems with the display on my powerbook. under normal use, for the most part, it seems fine. but whenever it is at all jarred, moved, bumped, etc., the picture gets glitchy... lines and patchy areas not displaying properly, things jumping out of place, etc. having successfully connected my powerbook to a variety of external monitors, it would seem that the problem here is a bad connection and not any fault with the video board.

i'm covered by applecare and had my logic board replaced a few months ago on account of lower ram slot failure. apple was more than swift in taking care of the problem, and (shipping time included) i was only without my powerbook for about four days. of course (partially thanks to MR ;) ) i had already diagnosed the problem before sending it in. that said, i'm somewhat apprehensive to send it away again for fear that i may end up having to wait several weeks to get it back.

for the moment, the problem is more or less manageable. so i'm not in any hurry to get it repaired, and will probably end up waiting a few weeks or so until it is more convenient for me. that said, when i woke it up from sleeping just a few minutes ago, the entire lower half of the screen was black. i was able to fix it by tapping it once gently on the side. but now i'm starting to fear that it might just crap out altogether one of these days, and that i'll be left somewhat stranded.:(

so... do i call applecare now, or do i try my luck waiting? or, should i just try taking it apart myself and see if i can figure out what's going on?

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
Dude, if I were you I would call Applecare rightaway and send the powerbook in.. whatever the case may be - a loose connection or something else, the point is when something like this happens.. its keeps getting worse and eventually dies. So send it in before it completely craps out on you. :)

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
exeterbohemian said:
...snip...

so... do i call applecare now, or do i try my luck waiting? or, should i just try taking it apart myself and see if i can figure out what's going on?
Use SuperDuper to clone your HD (it's free for this, or else make a DVD backup), and call apple care. DO NOT take it apart yourself, it will most likely lead to the cancellation of your warranty, and I'm guessing you wouldn't want that. :)

Str8edgepunker

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2001
Philadelphia, PA
Music_Producer said:
Dude, if I were you I would call Applecare rightaway and send the powerbook in.. whatever the case may be - a loose connection or something else, the point is when something like this happens.. its keeps getting worse and eventually dies. So send it in before it completely craps out on you. :)

+1

Don't wait for it to die on you, send it in now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.