Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisleeroth

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
I am a brand new user/buyer of Apple. I just got a new 17 inch Powerbook and noticed that if i prop the notebook at an angle the display will usually fall down. This happens unless I prop it all the way the very top. This does not happen when the notebook is laying flat, only when on an angle. Is this normal for a laptop w/ such a big display? Or should I go get it checked out?

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
chrisleeroth said:
I am a brand new user/buyer of Apple. I just got a new 17 inch Powerbook and noticed that if i prop the notebook at an angle the display will usually fall down. This happens unless I prop it all the way the very top. This does not happen when the notebook is laying flat, only when on an angle. Is this normal for a laptop w/ such a big display? Or should I go get it checked out?
PowerBooks have a balanced sprung hinge, which is how they can open and close so smoothly. Compare it with a PC laptop and you'll probably notice the the PC laptop hinge is very stiff.

The down side to this is that if the laptop is not level gravity pulls at a different angle and the screen is not balanced so well.

It's not a problem (unless it flops when level), just don't tilt it too much and it will be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.