Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kent_ridge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Hi,
Is there any option to make my powerbook not sleep each time I close the lid??

Thanks.

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
kent_ridge said:
Hi,

Thanks.

There are hacks (do a search for "clamshell mode"), but the only way to do this without changing anything is to connect an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

MP

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
kent_ridge said:
Hi,

Thanks.

I'm sure there are hacks for this, but it baffles me why you'd want to.. care to enlighten me?

kent_ridge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Thanks a lot.

It'll be good if I can keep my pb running when I move around and still need to use the internet. Now I need to leave the lid open a little else I'll be d/c.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I've been wondering about the same thing - I want to use my PB's hard drive while the lid is closed - I've been envisioning a stop motion movie (using iStopMotion) but having the PB open while video recording in motion is a bit tricky.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
It tends to be a bad idea to do this, especially when you move around with it. The hard drive will still be spinning, so if you bump/drop/harm it when you move it, then there's always the risk of disk damage. Furthermore, the laptop is designed so that some heat is released from the keyboard; closed-lid operation inhibits dissipation of that heat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.