Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RooX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Just noticed yesterday that after I dissconnect (properly) my mp3 player from my powerbook, itunes seems to lock up 50% of the time, and to top it all off when i shut down the powerbook, the fan keeps going and the bottom gets abnormally hot (even for a pb)

any ideas why the fans would stay on after a shut down?

RooX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
player is a rio carbon (dont hate me for not having an ipod) and it was the first evening of using it. If this keeps up, its going back. I have used loads of other usb devices with no issues in the past few weeks.

As for apple care, the laptop is only 9 days old so its got loads of warrenty left. Hell, i might just return it to the store for another one if this acts up for the next day or so.

was just wondering/hopeing this was a common thing and there was an easy fix.

just for my records is a powerbooks fan supposed to stay on after shut down?

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
RooX said:
player is a rio carbon (dont hate me for not having an ipod) and it was the first evening of using it. If this keeps up, its going back. I have used loads of other usb devices with no issues in the past few weeks.

As for apple care, the laptop is only 9 days old so its got loads of warrenty left. Hell, i might just return it to the store for another one if this acts up for the next day or so.

was just wondering/hopeing this was a common thing and there was an easy fix.

just for my records is a powerbooks fan supposed to stay on after shut down?

I don't think the fan should be on after you shut it down. Mine has never done that.

Back to the store, your PowerBook must go... ;)

aussie_geek

RooX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
well, i brought back the carbon. picked up a 6gig mini and a free itrip, hooked it up and by god is the difference amazing. Ease of use with itunes is night and day in favor of the mini. Sound quality is close, based on equivelent bit rates on the same songs. Rio has mabey a slight edge in sound quality, but nothing that i think ill notice on the road.

So far so good with the fans now, i really think that the rio was the problem. (knock on wood)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.