Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greezychicken

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2005
Since installing Tiger, my Tibook's fans have been running pretty much all the time. Is anyone experiencing the same thing? I only have Mail and Safari open so I'm not really doing any intensive stuff and its on even when I'm not using it.

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
greezychicken said:
Since installing Tiger, my Tibook's fans have been running pretty much all the time. Is anyone experiencing the same thing? I only have Mail and Safari open so I'm not really doing any intensive stuff and its on even when I'm not using it.

How much memory do you have installed? Tiger may be using up all the available RAM and using the HD to compensate. I know that my PB's fans kick on fairly often even with 1.25 GB of RAM (using 10.3.9). Something that I do to help out is I have a fan sitting next to the PB and I'll turn it on when things start getting a little bit warm with the HD.

greezychicken

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2005
I have 1gb of memory installed. I might have to try that fan idea, thanks. Is this something Apple Care might be able to take care of?

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
I am not sure, but in all honesty, I don't think that there is anything wrong with your PB. Considering there is so much packed into such a small space, things are bound to get a bit toasty. If the fans are kicking on regularly, things seem to be working as they should. Just be thankful that these little fans aren't as loud as those in the "Windtunnel" PowerMac G4s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.