Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emmtek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
I work at a computer repair shop, and a client brought in a powerbook g3. when he bought it, he put a password on it, and promptly forgot this password.

Without having to reinstall OS9, is there any program/utility that can crack this password and/or reset it?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
You mean the Mac OS 9 multiple user password?

If so, then boot from a Mac OS 9 CD, and go into the Hard Drive >> System Folder >> Preferences and delete all the multiple user (or multi-user) preferences.

Should do it.

emmtek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
when i boot it it shows me the happy macintosh and then immediately after that goes to a password screen with a picture of a computer with a belt around it and an option for there being a hint to the password (there is none)

I popped in the OS9 CD and it wouldn't boot to the cd. sorry for this dumb question, but ive been working with windows computers for my whole life and never had to work on a macintosh, is there a mac bios where I can set it to boot to the cd, similar to other pc's?

if not, how do I get it to boot to this cd?

emmtek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
ignore the previous post.

we got it to boot to the CD.

It asks for a password to access the hard drive, if you don't give it it shows the desktop and all that, but the hard drive is not mounted and im pretty sure it wont mount unless you give the correct password.

is there another way to mount the hard drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.