Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akrie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
Hi there!

I have an old apple laptop Powerbook G3 from the year 1999 or 2000.
I have a lot of work from my school done with adobe products, and somehow want to take these out to save somewhere else.
I was able to connect to the internet through ethernet cable but the browser is so old that it won't let me connect to any cloud storage. I tried to connect with my PC ip address (using tcp/ip panel) but didn't work. I have a zip drive but can't open it with another computer. There is no USB port. I do not have CD writer. Attached here is the picture of the backside of the computer.
IMG_7817.jpg

Does anyone have ideas about how I can take these files out?

Thank you!
Akrie

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
You could share files between the PowerBook and a newer PPC Mac via AppleTalk over Ethernet. You could then copy the files to a flash drive or burn them to a CD on the newer Mac.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

Akrie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
You could share files between the PowerBook and a newer PPC Mac via AppleTalk over Ethernet. You could then copy the files to a flash drive or burn them to a CD on the newer Mac.
Thanks! I only have one windows PC and this old PowerBook. I think if this is the only way to connect, I will somehow find friends who might have newer Mac. Thanks so much!

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
Thanks! I only have one windows PC and this old PowerBook. I think if this is the only way to connect, I will somehow find friends who might have newer Mac. Thanks so much!

You're welcome!

Another thing you could also do is insert a CF or SD to PCMCIA adapter into your PowerBook and copy files to a CF or SD card.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Hi there!

I have an old apple laptop Powerbook G3 from the year 1999 or 2000.
I have a lot of work from my school done with adobe products, and somehow want to take these out to save somewhere else.
I was able to connect to the internet through ethernet cable but the browser is so old that it won't let me connect to any cloud storage. I tried to connect with my PC ip address (using tcp/ip panel) but didn't work. I have a zip drive but can't open it with another computer. There is no USB port. I do not have CD writer. Attached here is the picture of the backside of the computer. View attachment 880299
Does anyone have ideas about how I can take these files out?

Thank you!
Akrie

That's actually one of the Wallstreets from 1998.; one of five CPU/three screen variants.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
The easy and slow option would be a Cardbus-USB adapter-ask on here before buying as some are more-or-less plug and play and some might be no end of trouble to get working. You can plug a flash drive or USB external into it, but be forewarned that transfer at USB 1.1 speeds(what it will run at in OS 9 ) will be SLOW.

Cardbus-CF would be somewhat faster, but if you don't have any CF cards around can get expensive. Compact Flash cards are both IDE based and also are more or less pin compatible with PCMCIA, so this option does work very well and is basically plug and play. Of course, you also need a CF card reader on the other end.

Depending on how much I had to move, my inclination might be to pull the hard drive and use an IDE-USB bridge to connect it to another computer. Of course, if all you have is Windows, you'll have to research how to read HFS+ formatted volumes.

Reactions: AphoticD

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Basically the the already mentioned way of Ethernet/AFP or using DAVE to connect with a Windows-machine would be the "cheapest" way to get things done, since you won't need any additional hardware and the required software is available at Macintoshgarden or other sources for abandonware.
os9 offers a lot of options for connectivity - first to start with is Classilla as the latest browser and IMAP-email-client, so you could mail to yourself single important documents as mail-attachments.
Then you might use Goliath to connect to a webDAV-cloud-server (like BOX or GMX) and upload files to the cloud.
Or you may establish a connection to your Windows machine via DAVE/NetBIOS.
Or you can make your G3 machine an FTP-FileServer #9 and download files off the PowerBookG3 to your windows machine.

A overview about how to connect os9 can be found here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/filesharing-screensharing-between-os9-and-intel-macs.2178732/

And some more informations about software-options on the G3 are here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/the-g3-workstation-wiki.2125444/post-26200641

Last edited:
Reactions: AphoticD
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.