Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lashad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Ok here the dill I have a Mac Power Book G3!! yeah its old.. I bought a new hard drive with nothing on it. but im tryin to put OS 10 on there and it keep freezing up

lashad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
i tryed holdin do the C key but it keeps giving me a floppy with a ?

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I think you need to update your firmware. Go to Apple's website to download it. You'll need to install OS 9 to be able to install the firmware update also.

lashad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
I have os 9 it wont boot from cd i hold down c and it still give a flashing floppy

lashad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
do you know where i can download a Mac Os 9.0 bootable disk from

lashad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Does anybody have the link for the firmware.. do I can Update my G3 powerbook to OS X

lashad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Can Someone help me with this I have a Powerbook G3 I have OS 9 intalled but when I try to intall OS X it Freezes.. Some one told me to download the Firmware.. But I dont know which on it is.. can someone please help me

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Alright

Breath ... your new here so it's forgivable... but these are public forums not tech support so posting every 15 minutes isn't going to get it moving any faster.

Now .. You said your running OS 9 ... if i recall you need to be running OS 9.2 in order to upgrade to OS 10

but it's a multi step process as you need to upgrade to 9.1 and then 9.2

these upgrades are all found at the apple support website

http://info.apple.com

just run a search for those two items

http://www.info.apple.com/support/downloads.html

on the side you will see a link to version 9.1 and 9.2 ... download, install ... and then try getting OS 10 to work

if it doesn't come back

lashad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
ok I Upgraded to 9.2.2 but still when i Put in the OS X instillation disk.. it little spinner starts spinng and then it glictes out and freezes.

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
Do you know the Specs (Speed, Memory etc) of your PowerBook?

Could you list them?

I only ask because the PowerBook was upgraded often with their own codenames (Pismo, Lombard i think, Wall Street etc)

I also remember that OS X doesn't like one of the early PowerBook G3s so just want to make sure that isn't the case with your PowerBook

lashad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Ok
Machine Id 314
Keyboard type: standard
Dick cache 1024k
Machine Speed 233MHz
Memory available built in Memory use on disk 10824M
Available built in Memory 32K

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
I've dug out my Jaguar Box and it notes:

"The original PowerBook G3 and proccessor upgrade cards are not supported"

I think your PowerBook is the original, maybe someone else could verify this but if this is the case then you may want to think about getting a new Mac

lashad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
this was givin to me.. I have a many computers.. I just wanted to see if I could Put OS X on there I seen alot like mine that have OS X on there.. Some guy said there was a firmware update on the Mac Website and I cant find it..

ahmadof

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
I may be wrong, but i thinj the easiest way to see if your G3 is supported is 1) Bronze keyboard and 2) USB ports. This is what i am running 10.3.1 on. I did not install 9 first, i just installed from the panther disk. You do need to make sure your firmware upgraded. I had problems installing OSX on 2 computers that ran OS9 fine. it turned out to be bad RAM. OSX seems to be particularly finiky about RAM. I had one computer that ran for 4 years in OS9 without difficulty, but as soon as i installed X, the same RAm caused issues. SO, i would also take out any 3rd party RAM and seeif it helps

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
lashad, take a look at this list and tell us which model it exactly is.

But if you say that it has machine gestalt ID 314, it is the 12" Wallstreet.

So, technically, it should be possible to install OS X on that computer. However, with a 2 GB HD, 233 MHz and a max of 192 MB RAM, I don't think it's advisable.

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
Originally posted by ahmadof
I may be wrong, but i thinj the easiest way to see if your G3 is supported is 1) Bronze keyboard and 2) USB ports.

Earlier models are supported too. Only the original PowerBook G3 (PowerBook 3400 enclosure) is not supported.

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
Yes, as I wrote before, technically it is supported. But it makes little sense to actually use OS X on this PowerBook (at least if the hardware is in the original state). It won't be fun at all. Besides, Panther requires about 3 GB of free HD space...

lashad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
well I have a 10 gig hard drive and i have 256 MB of Ram I just ordered

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.