Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metalcup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2006
London (UK) / Bombay (India)
Hi.,

I've been using a powerbook (G4,17" screen, 1.67 GhZ, 512 Mb RAM) for the last 15 or so months and as the photo shows, the screen has suddenly gone bust. I thought this was a video board problem, so I connected it to an external display (a 17" CRT), and the external works perfectly fine.I also ran the hardware test (and, based on a suggestion in the apple discussion forums - the techtool pro test) and the video memory checks out. I dropped the laptop on its edge about 6 months ago, but the display did not show any problems then. This has started happening only over the last 10-15 days, and I don't know if the bump 6 months back had anything to do with this.

The problem is that I see 'twinning' on the display - I've uploaded a photograph to explain what I mean. It is a bad image, but basically, part of the display left of the white bar is duplicated after the black bar in the center. As in, if I want to shutdown the laptop and go to the blue apple icon on the upper left corner, the mouse arrow gets duplicated and I see two arrows on the screen - one on the left of the black bar and one on the right - when I click on the mouse button to pull down the menu, the apple menu pops down at two locations - on the upper left corner (where it should be), and to the immediate right of the black bar. The red circles mark out the location of the arrow(s) when I shot this image during login.

Now, since it is unlikely to be a video memory problem (?), is this a cable/connection issue? I took it to the apple service center, but the apple genius there told me that I'd have to replace the entire display assembly at 700 pounds (1300$). I plan on replace the display myself, but I want to be sure if this is a screen problem or a connection problem. I've opened up the laptop and checked the connections - none of them were loose, and the display still has the same problem.

Is there anyway I can check if this is a connection problem or a screen problem? Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

cheers!

Attachments

• DSC00812.JPG
    DSC00812.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 113
  • screen_duplicate_marked.jpg
    screen_duplicate_marked.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 86

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I'm no pro with this, but Id say that it is most likely a bad connection. Since youre going to be replacing the LCD yourself, feel free to open it up and check the connectors.

Also, it would be really awesome if youd post pictures of the whole process, as I have a 17" PB and would love to see what the inside of one looks like. :eek:

metalcup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2006
London (UK) / Bombay (India)
Hi Lamina,

Thanks! I've opened up the laptop - how do I go about checking the connections? I've disconnected them and reconnected them, and the problem persists. Is there anyway I can check if the cables are behaving properly?

I've taken a couple of photographs, will post them later today evening. Tha laptop is still disassembled, so I am open to requests... :)

Also, there is a forum post in notebook forums where a guy has replaced his display - am posting the link - it might be useful to someone else - it was useful for me..

http://www.notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=140503 - happy reading!

cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.