Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ishylite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2005
Hi, for some reason I can't start my powerbook. anytime I try to start it it says to restart it, and it never finish the boot up process. I had a memory upgrade plus installing some programs, but since then it hasn't properly started. I've tried different ways of restarting and none of them works. right now I can't even get to start in safe mode.... Your help will be much much appreciated. thanks

Ish

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
First, try removing the RAM. Restart. Any luck?

If so, then you have bad RAM. Get that stuff warrantied ASAP.

If it still doesn't boot, try popping in the install disk that came with the 'book. Run Disk utility and repair the disk. Then, repairpermissions 2-3 times. Try restarting. Any luck?

I had a similar issue with my Powermac a few months ago, turned out to be wickedly mutatede permissions, and I ended up just doing an Archive Install. In the end, it all worked out, but it sure was a pain to not be able to log in.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'd try fsck instead of using the OSX disks if possible, simply because it gets updated with the OS whereas the disk obviously doesn't. Of course, that's assuming the RAM removal gets you somewhere close to being able to run it. :)

ishylite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2005
Powerbook G4 can't start

thanks for all your help. So far I haven't had any luck yet. I've tried all the suggestions, I've tried reseting the PMU, but still after the boot up sound all I see is some gibberish in different languages. "restart your computer." and even when I try runing the restorating disk, I still the same message. I everything freezes and it wont even let me start it in safe mode...

thanks.. Ish

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Removing the RAM did nothing? Maybe try it with a different RAM configuration - take out the chip you had in there and replace it with a different one, assuming it's not a 12 inch PowerBook with only the one slot. :)

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
ishylite said:
thanks for all your help. So far I haven't had any luck yet. I've tried all the suggestions, I've tried reseting the PMU, but still after the boot up sound all I see is some gibberish in different languages. "restart your computer." and even when I try runing the restorating disk, I still the same message. I everything freezes and it wont even let me start it in safe mode...

thanks.. Ish

Sounds like the memory could be bad. Best bet is to remove it and then boot.

ishylite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2005
thank you all so much for your assistance. I finally had to purchace another RAM and luckily it's working. the only problem is, it's taking longer to boot up and also shout down... but thank you so much again... :) :) :)

Ish

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.