Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
It's true, my PowerBook G4 has a whine, it only occurs when i 'Get Info' on a 979 MB quicktime on my desktop, and goes away when i scrub the preview timeline.

Perhaps the whine has been there all along, throughout various incarnations of Apple Notebooks, and we were being too sensitive with these new MacBook/MacBook Pros.

Whine aside, i adore my PowerBook and it still never fails to amaze me nearly 18 months after getting it.

Any other PPC notebooks with the whine?

I checked up and couldn't find this mentioned on the first search page.

Rich.

the rock

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2006
On my PB 1.25 I get a whine whenever I copy over ethernet and if I put the processor performance to the highest. It used to whine when previewing movies as well, but that disapperared with a 10.3 update I think...

I have a MBP 2.0 as well, and the whine is pretty similar, although more high pitched on the PB.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
You know, my powerbook has had the whine™ before. It drove me crazy, but it only happened for about a day or two, its disappeared ever since :confused:

Though, I almost always run my powerbook on reduced due to heat on my lap.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
max_altitude said:
I've never experienced anything like this with my PB. Are you sure it wasn't just the harddrive whirring or something?

Positive it's not the HD, my girlfriend has a MacBook with the whine, and this is the same sound.

It happens only when i 'Get Info' the quicktime, and it stops when i scrub the preview timeline.

I have noticed, when i 'Get Info' two quicktimes simultaneously, there is a higher pitched whine, the occurs in a single bleep, then the whine proceeds.

I'm not at all bothered by it, my PowerBook functions flawlessly.

It's a good lesson to be learned, maybe all Apple Notebooks whine now and again, computers make noises!

Rich.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.