Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

december

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
Toronto
FYI: I am on the line with Applecare right now re my iPod. Its battery is
dead and the HD seems to be having major issues as well.

The rep asked me which Powerbook i was using the iPod with: a G4 or a G5.
Incredulous i ask "a G5?" To which she answers, "ok a Powerbook G5, and
which OS are you running?" Me: "sorry, just to confirm, your system is
showing Powerbook G5 as an option?" Her, "Yes sir, Powerbook G5 or G4 are
the options given to me by the system." I then correct her on the fact that
i have a G4, and ask "are you sure you are not looking at the Powermac
menu?" Her, politely, "no sir, i have you running a Powerbook G4, and not a
Powerbook G5."

Anyway, make of that what you will ... Sounds like we might see a release
sooner rather than later.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I think when you asked her if she was 'looking at the Powermac menu she might have been busy inputing data and not have really heard you...

I sort of doubt that AppleCare would already be showing a PBG5 and no leaks of any sort anywhere else.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Amazing that the tech person wouldn't have caught the G5 reference. Kind of sad really. :(

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
wow...they actually work for apple and are that oblivious??? If the G5 was coming out soon, it would have been unvieled in Paris, and it probably wouldnt' be in the system for apple care yet

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
We call this an encounter with an ignoramus CR rep reading liner notes off a screen like homie the robot. But if your scotland yard tactics makes you feel better, believe 'til eternity in the G5. Keep hope alive.

PickledSquirrel

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
Aarhus, DK
Hehe don't make too much of applecare phonefolks... When I was talking to them about my iMac G4 that had died on me, the woman kept asking if I'd tried to remove the battery. :D I second devilot76, she probably wasn't listening to you.

-squirrel

december

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
Toronto
djkny said:
We call this an encounter with an ignoramus CR rep reading liner notes off a screen like homie the robot. But if your scotland yard tactics makes you feel better, believe 'til eternity in the G5. Keep hope alive.

since i have no need for a new Powerbook, this news is of no real use to me, other than being an interesting factoid. I don't think my tactics were anything more than an elementary attempt to correct an obvious mistake.

carpe diem

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
I frankly dont belive you and i think you are a windows user just trying to get us excited but we however are not stupid.
Sorry if i sound bad but i want to be frank

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
i bet the rep ment powermac. . .and just in the lines of communication someone wasnt hearing something right.

december

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
Toronto
carpe diem said:
I frankly dont belive you and i think you are a windows user just trying to get us excited but we however are not stupid.
Sorry if i sound bad but i want to be frank

I'm sorry to be so frank but your spelling suggests that you, not I, are the windows user. The system wide spell checking capabilities in OS X Tiger are rather easy to use. I use them daily on my iLamp iMac and on my G4 Powerbook.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
never gonna happen

We have been through this a zillion times. A PowerBook G5 will NEVER see the light of day. At this point, even if it was technically possible, Steve would never release it. It would cause too many people to question the move to Intel.

Hickman

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
CSR are once again the morans of this land a long with any sort of sales people. When do they ever have the correct information? Most CSRs stay with one company for like 3-6 months and then leaves meaning that most of the time you will be talking to a newb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.