Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kindofblue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Is Apple going to make a Powerbook G5? They have made a powermac G5. Does anyone have an idea if they are making this or when it will be released?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
kindofblue said:
Is Apple going to make a Powerbook G5? They have made a powermac G5. Does anyone have an idea if they are making this or when it will be released?

yes, there will be a PB G5. yes, i'm sure they are working on it, but no one here knows for sure when it will be released.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I think we need a huge banner across the homepage that states "Anyone posting a new thread about G5 Powerbooks will be shot" (no offense to the newbie.)

This question is asked multiple times every day, and there are hundreds of threads if you search the forums.

kindofblue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Also read that they're making imac G5? Can someone please explain the difference from an ibook to powerbook and the dif from imac to powermac? I know the power' products are better and more expensive, so why are they upgrading the 'i' products?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
kindofblue said:
Also read that they're making imac G5? Can someone please explain the difference from an ibook to powerbook and the dif from imac to powermac? I know the power' products are better and more expensive, so why are they upgrading the 'i' products?

will dell stop upgrading inspiron products just because lattitude products are "better and more expensive"? they all need to be upgraded once in a while... it happens that iMac is due (quite a bit due, actually) for an update.

iBook is more of a "consumer" laptop while PB is a "prosumer" laptop. generally, PB has more features and higher specs.

iMac is a consumer oriented all in one computer - monitor is not separable from the computer. PowerMac is for prosumers - they are upgradable and monitor is sold separately.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
kindofblue said:

oyyyyy :rolleyes:

inkster218

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2004
Let's lose the arrogance thing about newbies, shall we?

I'm new here AND am well versed in computers but came here to learn about Mac's and what they are all about.

Hat's off to you newbies who have the guts to ask the "silly" questions! I think Mac's are worth learning about and this Forum is an awesome place to learn.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
maybe we should sign a petition and send it to arn or wutever and have them make a rule against posting about when the powerbook g5 will get released. It is becoming annoying and i have seen AT LEAST 50 threads about it.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
inkster218 said:
Let's lose the arrogance thing about newbies, shall we?

I'm new here AND am well versed in computers but came here to learn about Mac's and what they are all about.

Hat's off to you newbies who have the guts to ask the "silly" questions! I think Mac's are worth learning about and this Forum is an awesome place to learn.

i don't think its arrogance. i think it's a little matter of respecting the forum. if you want to learn, the least you could do is look around first. G5 PB has been a thread of choice practically every week, with the same content: "is it coming? does anyone know when?" if you want to learn, there are resources at this forum. posting about it isn't the only way to "learn." it's one thing to ask "silly" questions - basic questions aren't silly. but i think repeated speculations (that aren't really questions anyway) are something else.

i personally didn't act arrogant nor make issue out of the newbie question. i gave a very simple and to the point answer. i can't speak for other non-newbies with "attitudes" (as you imply) but i don't blame them either.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
jxyama said:
i personally didn't act arrogant nor make issue out of the newbie question. i gave a very simple and to the point answer. i can't speak for other non-newbies with "attitudes" (as you imply) but i don't blame them either.

the only place i am mad at newbies is in mac yahoo chat room Macintosh:1. Most of the time i dont mind them but when they ask somtin stupid like "who here uses a mac" its just stupid. Other times when you say "open you hard drive and then the system folder" they will ask how to open the hd...and thats just plain irritating as well.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
well, my stance is that this is a forum. ideally, every post spurs some interesting discussions and/or contains some new information.

repeated G5 PB threads are neither. the topic has been beaten to death and no one has any new information. (because if the new information was even somewhat credible, it would make the front page of MR.)

i don't like it when a forum, which i feel is meant to be more of a community based on discussions, are treated simply like a collection of "knowledge" to be retrieved at anyone's will. newbies should join the community instead of just trying to obtain the answer to their questions for their own convenience, ignoring the fact the community has been around quite a while.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
There is a search function in the forums for a reason. If you ever want to ask a question that is as common as "when do you think the PB G5 will be released", you should run a search. If you don't find anything, then you can post a new thread about it.

Please, please use search before you post. This used to be an unwritten - or maybe it is written someplace - rule, but it seams that lately few people have been adhering to it.

So, to answer your question, the PB G5 is being worked on - we can assume - but it won't be released until next spring at the earliest.

The iMacs are being upgraded to G5 processors before the PBs because it is far easier to cool a G5 in a desktop than in a laptop, and because of this desktops almost always see new processors before laptops

ibook_g4_user

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2004
I hope Apple portables stay with a G4 becouse of the fact that the G4 has a better battery time, I rather hope for a 2GHz G4 with 90 nm than a 2GHz G5 90 nm with one sec battery. I dont know why everyone are bitching about G5s, G4rs performs better on the same clock and they are also smarter designed(takes less power). Altivec are also faster on the G4.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
ibook_g4_user said:
I hope Apple portables stay with a G4 becouse of the fact that the G4 has a better battery time, I rather hope for a 2GHz G4 with 90 nm than a 2GHz G5 90 nm with one sec battery. I dont know why everyone are bitching about G5s, G4rs performs better on the same clock and they are also smarter designed(takes less power). Altivec are also faster on the G4.

g5's perform better at the same clcok actually. They have much much bigger pipes and can handle so many more in flight instructions than the g4. Thus they have a much higher bandwidth.The vector unit on the g5 is also faster than on the g4 as well.

But yes i agree on the fact people keep bit***ng about the g5 powerbook. I definitly would rather have a g4 powerbook 2 ghz with 3-4 hours batter life than a 2 ghz g5 and have 1-2 hours of life.

for some wierd reason i can see apple waiting for 65 NM g5's to put in the powerbook... although that wont be for another year +-

I dont get why you say the g4 is smarter designed. The g5 is only like a year old (designs for it are years old though) but it is in every virtual way more advanced than the g4.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i think g5 will definitely become a lot more relevant for the sheer fact the size of files we deal with are continuously getting bigger -> bus size becomes more important.

just the last 5 years or so, the primary size of files we deal with has been growing from kB documents to MB pics/mp3s to now, GB movies.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
jxyama said:
i think g5 will definitely become a lot more relevant for the sheer fact the size of files we deal with are continuously getting bigger -> bus size becomes more important.

just the last 5 years or so, the primary size of files we deal with has been growing from kB documents to MB pics/mp3s to now, GB movies.
Very true, I remember about 10 or 12 years ago I got a 40 meg hard drive and thought there would be no way in hell that I can use this up. Now I don't feel my 60 gig hard drive is enough and considering by an external 250 gb dirve.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...not to flog a dead horse again (okay, I will but just a little...) but not only have there been numerous thread about PB G5's but the 10.4/Tiger forum is really not the right place for another one - that is why we have separate forums for *hardware* etc etc.....oh yeah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.