Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UWF404

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
I'd like to watch DVD movies on trips and be able to share sound with wife. Is there some type of splitter device to allow for two headsets??

And what software is good for downloading DVD movies to the HD??

Thanks!

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
UWF404 said:
I'd like to watch DVD movies on trips and be able to share sound with wife. Is there some type of splitter device to allow for two headsets??

Thanks!

To hook two headsets up to a Powerbook, you just need a 1/8" splitter--it plugs in to the headphone port and gives you two jacks. They're a couple bucks at radio shack.

As to downloading DVDs to the HD, you're asking the wrong person.

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
UWF404 said:

Thanks!

There is a spliter that you can get, not sure where you would get one but since the jack connection is common on most devices it shouldn't be too hard to find :)

I'm sure there might be software out there but in my experience when making a full image of the DVD for use on my computer it is hard for the hard drive to read the data fast enough for smooth play so keep that in mind

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
Try MacTheRipper or DVDBackup for transferring DVDs to your hard-drive. Alternatively, check out HandBrake, which can convert DVDs to mp4 format and therefore conserves space. A 90min film usually takes up around 1GB in mp4, compared with just over 7GB for the average (dual-layer) DVD. Be forewarned that HandBrake doesn't include subtitle support yet.

All of these apps can be found at versiontracker.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.