Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazzer21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
The YoYo power supply on my PowerBook G4 400 died recently - there was a loose connection in the wire at the connector so it was irrepairable. I bought a new one (which I assume is an Alumininum PowerBook one) which is a white little brick with little legs that come out that you can wind the wire around (not that I do). BUT, the machine runs really hot now - I can actually feel the heat through my desk when my knee touches it!!! It's 65 watt (which is what the old one was) - any ideas why it might be doing this - I really can get third degree burns off the underside of the thing when I pick it up at the end of the day.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Is the PowerBook a G3 or a G4?

There was a PowerBook G3 400MHz and a PowerBook G4 400MHz.

Which one?

If it's running hot, I would buy the exact same one you had before, the YoYo one.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I admittedly am not sure about the voltages, but if the two adapters are the same voltage, it wouldn't matter if the new one was 200W, it wouldn't make the computer run any hotter or cause any problem--the power rating is only an upper limit. If, however, the voltage on the new one is a little high, that could do BAD things to your computer.

Did Apple specifically say that your new adapter was compatible with the computer (in which case maybe the heat is probably a coincidence), or did you assume it was (in which case, maybe it ISN'T)?

Last time I replaced a Yo-yo adapter, I just bought a budget black brick specifically intended for the particular model of PowerBook from OWC for like $20, and it worked fine.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Yeah, I would definitely NOT use that power adapter any more.

Go on eBay and get another YoYo or a generic one like Makosuke suggested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.