Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

morgan-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2003
Illinois, USA
I believe it was here that someone mentioned on discussion of the 15" TiPB that if apple releases a significantly upgraded model within three weeks of the purchase date they will buy it back towards the purchase of the updated product(?). If this is in fact true, could someone post a link stating this?

Thanks a lot,
Morgan

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
i've never heard of apple buying back a computer ever. The best i've ever seen people get is if within a week (1 week) of purchase a new model comes out and you goto a store or contact apple directly and plead your case you might be a hundred or two hundred bucks back but thats the most i've ever seen.

All prospective 15" buyers should know , you can either keep sitting patiently and wait for the computer or buy one now and keep it , apple will not take returns because of a new machine without a restocking fee, you can't count on some magical policy someone vaguely mentioned because it does not exist.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i believe it says hidden somewhere if the apple store changes the product within 10 days you can get the new machine instead. anything past that you have to pay the restocking fee and all that if you want the new machine.

iJon

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
yeah, you have 10 days from the time of purchase to either return it or exchange it. if it's opened they charge you a 10% restocking fee. if you have an order that has still not been delivered when a new or upgraded model is released you will receive the newer model at the original cost. some people luck out. my friend's 10 Gig iPod died a few weeks ago and he brought it into the Apple Store and they gave him a new 15 Gig model. they try to give you something of equal purchase value. i didn't get so lucky. 12 days after i bought my 12" PowerBook they dropped the price by $200. there was nothing i could do.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I think a lot of this comes from the times Apple has altered the products and offered people the new machines at the same price and/or have automatically upgraded peoples machines.

But then these are the custom ordered machines that are currently awaiting processing.

Otherwise you get the price reduction if Apple lowers the price on the "same" machine, but Apple also has a habit of altering the machine enough so they no longer are the same when machines are move down a notch.

wowoah

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
Berkeley, CA
Does this only apply if you purchase through an Apple Store? What about independent resellers or educational resellers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.