Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notEven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
i own a powerbook 400 and a pc with 1.4ghz athlon. my powerbook is painfully slow, it was always slow (i upgraded from a g3 300 and didnt notice much of a difference). So anyway, im wondering if i purchace another powerbook, be it the current 1gig or the new update (whenever or whatever it is), am i going to face the same effect?

at the time (about a year ago), i was blown away by how fast my pc was (i work mainly with flash, photoshop, illustrator). but had to, and still have to, deal with a cumbersome os (win 2000). granted, i was comparing 400 mhz vs 1.4 ghz desktop.

but on paper, since its inception, the PB has only doubled (well, maybe a little more) in speed. will the current top of the line PB (1Ghz) still be slower than my pc? (i know its unfair, but im comparing a powerbook to a desktop pc). I don't really need anything faster than my 1.4 athlon, but dont feel like dropping $2600 for something slower than my current pc.

i will mainly be using the powerbook for everyday tasks, and light "work" related use (unless it is actually faster than my current rig).

thanks for listening.

:)

xpormac

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
it will be faster ;)

but of course, a pc laptop would cost less than half that and be faster than the mac laptop :p

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by xpormac but of course, a pc laptop would cost less than half that and be faster than the mac laptop :p [/B]

You *can* get a pc laptop for half the price of a powerbook and you *can* get a pc laptop that is faster than a powerbook (but also heavier and uglier), but you absolutely *can't* get a pc laptop that costs half of the powerbook *and* is faster as well. Wait for the update, max out the RAM and you will not be dissapointed.

xpormac

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
but you absolutely *can't* get a pc laptop that costs half of the powerbook *and* is faster as well

If you don't think you can get a pc laptop for $1300 thats faster than a 1Ghz powerpc g4 your mistaken, sorry. Apple has a beautiful operating system, I love it, I use it, but for bang for your buck power, x86 is the way to go.

<-edit-> sorry if I derailed your thread :(

notEven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Originally posted by xpormac
If you don't think you can get a pc laptop for $1300 thats faster than a 1Ghz powerpc g4 your mistaken, sorry. Apple has a beautiful operating system, I love it, I use it, but for bang for your buck power, x86 is the way to go.

<-edit-> sorry if I derailed your thread :(

nah, just as long as im not dissapointed with my purchase, its ok knowing its not the fastest machine for the money. i still value the OS very highly, and the i-apps even higher.

just don't want a machine thats way slower than my 1.5 year old pc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.