Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Having got a Psion Revo PDA recently, I’d anticipated working around it’s RS232 sync cable with a serial to USB adaptor plugged into my Thinkpad X40 running XP - but no, it failed to make a connection.

Next up was a Virtual Box on my i5 iMac running first Micro XP and then full XP….nope.

Finally I tried MicroXP under Virtual PC 7 on my 12” Powerbook - success!

I’ve no idea why this worked and the others didn’t but I’m glad VPC7 is still there as an option.

revo_pb.jpg

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Awesome. I’ve always wanted a Revo or Series 5 — but the battery and/or display cable problems…
This was another lucky find - the seller had just replaced the rechargeables but made a hash of fitting the case together so I got it for £10. A single strip of colour coded duct tape has fixed it - looks a sight but I don't care, better than spending £30 for one with dead batteries :)

maître

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2022
Russia
In my experience, serial to USB adaptors are so picky they never work. If you need a serial connection you've got to have a real thing :>
I've always wanted to get me one of those weird PDAs but never saw any value, what are you doing with yours?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
In my experience, serial to USB adaptors are so picky they never work. If you need a serial connection you've got to have a real thing :>
I've always wanted to get me one of those weird PDAs but never saw any value, what are you doing with yours?
I've had success with mine several times but they're certainly not PNP.
I make notes on mine away from the computer - instant on/instant off.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I mostly used serial-USB connectors for moving data between old and new systems (Cambridge Z88, TRS-80 Model 100 etc) rather than palm-top devices but they can be quite fussy. I have two cables which are branded the same and look identical, but each works with some combinations that the other doesn't. Both cables worked reliably with a Palm IIIxe however, and my Windows 10 computer, along with 12-inch PowerBook G4.

Before retirement last year, I used the Palm for managing a to-go todo list - it was ideal in being instant-on and highly portable, plus the Palm desktop software was just about perfect (and simple) for my use and needs.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I got my first Palm in 1999 and loved the monochrome simplicity and speed of the OS.
The great irony to me is that to achieve the same total and ready focus using more modern devices needs additional software tools such as 'do not disturb' and 'focus', which remove all the clutter that a more dated device doesn't even have.

Versatility seems like a no-brainer to build in, until you realize as a user that it can get in your way with mission-critical tasks really badly.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
The great irony to me is that to achieve the same total and ready focus using more modern devices needs additional software tools such as 'do not disturb' and 'focus', which remove all the clutter that a more dated device doesn't even have.
Back in the day, the irony to me also was that when the first Windows CE-based monochrome PDAs were released, they were slower than Palms despite having more powerful hardware and harder to navigate because the UI was optimised for a colour screen… and the third iteration which finally got the UI design right was more similar to the PalmOS UI.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheShortTimer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.