Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thumb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Hi all,

I am sorry to post this cry for help. I have searched plenty, but since my problem is the really slow speed and endless beachballs of safari, even macrumors is crawling.

.867 ghz tibook, 1GB ram, 40gb HD, 15 GB free, 10.4.6

I know it is not the latest and greatest, but it is now running much slower than before. I am on a very fast university connection, either by airport or by ethernet cable, and safari just crawls. at times it is fine, at other times the whole computer screetches to a halt. it has never frozen completely, but up to two minutes before another command can be entered.

The ram seems fine, i have run applejack, i have cleared out the HD to free up space. something seems wrong, this computer should be able to surf the interwebs plenty fast (and it always has in the past, faster even than my wifes 1.25ghz albook - less RAM on hers).

any thoughts? or has this just been programed into the latest software update to lure me to the MB/P?

btw, i am not sure if this is relevant, but a couple of sites i have been to recently are really really slow: newegg and pricegrabber.

x86

macrumors regular
May 25, 2006
Dearborn, MI
Have you tried using a different browser, like FireFox? Also, I have the same processor as you in my PowerBook and Newegg seems to be omptomized for IE and runs like crap on mine as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.