Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Originally posted by tfaz1
I think Apple would be making a huge mistake to sacrafice the form factor to accommodate a Superdrive.

Thus the rumors of an external option. Currently iDVD does not even run unless you have a superdrive installed INTERNALLY, so if apple announces an external option it would also have to allow iDVD to work on all the macs out there...very good news for some of us who have access to external burners.

Pioneer is working on their internal version which I would believe more likely to be included in a tiBook for two reasons: first Pioneer is the current supplier of the Superdrive aka Pioneer A04, and second because the Pioneer slot load burner is a 2X burner as opposed to Toshiba's 1X.

On a related note, Pioneer will also be unveiling the succesor to the A04 which is a 4X burner! Whoohoo! Excuse my enthusiasm as I look over my shoulder to see that my DVD is not done yet. The new Pioneer is also supposed to be cheaper than the current A04, so not only faster, but cheaper, better...Thank you Mr Parsons.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Update: Both drives are not only announced (at least in Asia), but shown. To quote Macnn:
Pioneer displayed both DVR-K11RZ (tray-loading notebook SuperDrive with 2x/2x/8x DVD-RW and 16x/10x/24x CD-RW functions) and its 3.5" desktop DVR-105RZ (4x/2x/12x DVD-RW and 16x/10x/40x CD-RW).
* A "traverse mechanism" (slot-loading?) version of the notebook SuperDrive drive appears to be even smaller and is due to begin production in December 2002 with 2x/2x/8x DVD-RW and 16x/10x/24x CD-RW functions.

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
So will we have to wait till Dec for the new PB? Or maybe they will have one without the DVD-R first then introuduce the DVD R before Christmas?

I just want one now!

vibinc

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2002
Memphis, TN
Has anyone checked out stock levels of exsisting models? ClubMac currently has around 120-667s and 425-800s (system only). Those numbers haven't changed much since Monday. I don't know if that's a lot or not. Could the "slim" number of 667s be an indication of EOLing that model?

Whaddya think?

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
i personally would very rarely use a superdrive. Especially at 5 bucks a disk. I have no problem backing stuff up to an external HD or to multiple cd-rw's. I agree with the crowd that says keep the form factor the same and toss a 24x burner inside. The dvd-r isn't worth the extra money to me.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by Thirteenva
i personally would very rarely use a superdrive. Especially at 5 bucks a disk. I have no problem backing stuff up to an external HD or to multiple cd-rw's. I agree with the crowd that says keep the form factor the same and toss a 24x burner inside. The dvd-r isn't worth the extra money to me.

Don't buy one then................ :rolleyes:

I hope Apple offers 2 options.... 1 with a conventional 'Combo' drive and one with the SuperDrive........ just to keep the winjers at bay!! And I don't think Apple are going to change the TiBooks form factor.... the technology is as good as small enough now!!

A DVD is a huge bonus though... great for archiving..... and ultimately much more reliable than trusting all your work to an external HD....... if that goes 'PING' you're doomed!!

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by iGAV

obviously i wouldn't...:rolleyes:

I hope Apple offers 2 options.... 1 with a conventional 'Combo' drive and one with the SuperDrive........ just to keep the winjers at bay!! And I don't think Apple are going to change the TiBooks form factor.... the technology is as good as small enough now!!

Sorry didnt realize have a differing opinion and using an open forum to express said opinon was considered "whining"...
I take offense specifically with that comment on the basis that i was in fact expressing my personal opinion on track with the current subject heading and made no attempt to do so in a arguementative manner, nor imposing my viewpoint on to others. I suggest you quote people more carefully.

seems to me that most of the whining is from people who so desperately "need" a superdrive in a notebook.

A DVD is a huge bonus though... great for archiving..... and ultimately much more reliable than trusting all your work to an external HD....... if that goes 'PING' you're doomed!!

Agreed.... however having my work on 2 hard drives(internal and external) in addition to having important projects on their own cd's that i can copy and deliver then as backups to clients has worked flawlessly. And to each his own...
I wasnt' trying to offer my solution as better for you, just stating my current procedure as a reason for me not needing added cost of a superdrive.

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
I too agree that the DVD-R should not hold up the release of a new faster TiBook with ATI 9000 and Bluetooth, as those are more important to me right now. I would like the option for an external DVD-R for all Apple products, but especially the TiBook.

HOWEVER, I think that LATER, when supplies permit, Apple should release an internal DVD-R version of the Ti......but for God's sake, don't hold it up for it!

Priority for me is:

167FSB / G4 1.0GHz and 2MB L3

then

Better Graphics, like ATI 9000

then

DDR (would be a givin if we went to the new 167FSB)

then

DVD-R

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
if they put in 2 MB l3 cache, they will almost certainly trash the DDR. it seems like having the happy fast bus makes the L3 less of a priority... i think i would prefer the 2MB L3 myself; it seems like DDR would be a power hog/ heating unit

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
If I had to choose, I would take the 2MB L3, but, I would hope that they can pull it off, and include the 167MHz bus as well.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by iGAV

A DVD is a huge bonus though... great for archiving..... and ultimately much more reliable than trusting all your work to an external HD.......

I disagree. It's not worth it to spend $5 on media that I can't re-write.

With an external HD, as long as you perform regular backups, you'll always have a copy of your work somewhere. You don't really expect two seperate drives (especially if one is external) to go kaput at the same time?

...I could however see myself crushing 4GB of DVD data as it rests at the bottom of my backpack...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.