Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peter2002

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2002
Dallas, TX
Today, IBM announced their latest Travelstar notebook HD with 80GB capacity. The real kicker is its 7200RPM speed. It uses a new technology called "pixie dust".

Not only is IBM's new Travelstar drive quick, but quiet, by 4db.

I'm sure Apple will be offering this fast and big HD soon.

In 2003, 200GB notebook HDs are coming.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-964711.html

Peter :)

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Id say most definately, as long as it fits inside the computer, Apple will offer it, a 7200 rpm drive is one of the last hurdles laptops have to go over to make them full desktop replacements, and the size is nice too :)

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Re: PowerBook w/ 80GB next!

First off, I beat ya to it;)

Thread in current events: click me

"pixie dust" is not new...its been around for over a year now (read the article) Also it says the drives are quieter than the current models by 4dB, but that probably is comparing the new 4200 rpm drive to the current 4200 rpm, which is already quiet. The 7200 rpm will still be a bit noisier.

I'm not sure Apple will put this drive in the powerbook, after all, they dropped the 5400 rpm BTO 60GB hard drive...

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Over Achiever: why did they drop the 5400 IBMs? did they just switch to toshiba hard drives like i have heard (BTW, is that true?), because the IBMs are on low supply, or was there an issue with the 5400s? my dad works for dell (he just LOVES that i am getting a powerbook, and he'llk be even happier when it beats the crap out of his dell), and he said they have just dropped IBM hard drives because the field incidence (i.e., drive failure/other trouble) is so unmanageably high. but i have a great 40 GB 60GXP that's been an angel... have the powerbooks historically had problems with their IBM drives?

does anybody know if the new PB drives have just 2 MB cache or do they have the *awesome* magic 8MB?

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
Specifications!

It's all about Specifications... "pixie dust" is the description used in Peter Pan for for something impossible, but in this case, all it took was a rubber hammer and a complete disregard for specifications. Such an approach to building notebooks makes me wonder what this "pixie dust" REALLY reefers to...

Unlike Apple, other companies tend to play fast and loose with Specifications, and it leads to Drives that spin into blue screens of death... I'm sure that when guys like PC Drone Dvorak (mentioned recently in some previous threads) has restarted his notebook for the 7200th time, I'll still be comfortably running without a restart.

Apple puts in Drives with 4200 speeds because they meet Apple Powerbook Specifications. Is there anyone here that thinks Apple didn't look into the 7200 drive and reject it for a valid reason at this time? One thing I have come to count on is that Apple is very aware of the future and values my ability to run a stable platform as much as I do.

So while other non-Apple computer companies are resorting to "pixie dust" to try to compete with Apple's Titanium clad products, it's "Second Star to the left, straight on till morning" in a Ship that's on the right course with Apple.

We may see a 7200 Drive, or even a faster - larger - Drive in the future, but only if it meets the standards that Apple demands for it's Customers... I for one am happy Apple doesn't just grab the rubber hammer and start pounding away.

A big congratulations to the Apple Powerbook team! Both on price reductions and Performance increase while meeting Specifications.

:cool:

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Re: PowerBook w/ 80GB next!

Originally posted by peter2002

In 2003, 200GB notebook HDs are coming.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-964711.html

Peter :)

My dear lord (even though im not christian :rolleyes: )! 200 GB in a notebook. Who would need that much space?!??! That is crazy. Well Iguess there are a lot of people that need HDs that are that large, but to the average person a 40 GB hd is just fine. I certainly wouldn't mind a 350 GB hd for my powermac though ;)...

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
this may sound pathetic, but i go for big drives because it give you all that leeway and extra performance. i would never use all the 60GB on a PB. i am currently using about 20 GB of my 60 on my computer, but--you can't use 60 GB of your 60 GB drive. you'd be foolish to even use 55, IMO. it slows performance down hellishly to go over 75 % usage... and especially hurst optimization time. so i think the 60 GB now is worth the extra, as is any big leap...

good point on the standards, benderbot... i bet those 60 GB IBMs were a little too wacky for apple.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Re: Re: PowerBook w/ 80GB next!

Originally posted by scem0

My dear lord (even though im not christian :rolleyes: )! 200 GB in a notebook. Who would need that much space?!??! That is crazy. Well Iguess there are a lot of people that need HDs that are that large, but to the average person a 40 GB hd is just fine. I certainly wouldn't mind a 350 GB hd for my powermac though ;)...

Glad you pointed out you're not a Christian... :rolleyes:

For god sakes man, I remember when I had a new 7600 with 256 RAM and I was like.. who will ever need more ram than that? And I had a 20GB HD... who will ever need more space than that? Well now a casual user fills up 20GB with warez and mp3s no problem, and 256MB of ram is barely enough to run the latest shooter titles it seems.

Now, I know based on your posts and your annoying avatar that you're like 13-16, but try to look ahead a little bit more. We'll need 200GB drives soon no doubt, especially once DVD software titles catch on.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Springscansing: that was totally uncalled for; while you have a few "insightful" comments, you seem to have missed scem0's point. he is just expressing amazement at the size that for him is unnecessary. if you actually read his poost, you'll see that he admits that there are others that need the space, and that more space is a good thing. he says (quite rightly) that 40 GB is plenty of space right now for the average user, and Apple, by their marketing, certainly agrees with him. why get all mean about this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.