Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slinky0390

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
im getting a monitor for christmas.. and was wondering how you run the powerbook with the lid closed.. i know you have to have the power adapter in and you have to have a keyboard plugged into the computer... can you plug the mouse into the keyboard and the keyboard into the laptop and have it still run with the display closed or do you have to have both plugged into the laptop? im also assuming that you cant use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard and run the powerbook with the lid closed

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Yes, you can plug the keyboard in the PB and the mouse in the keyboard. I'm also fairly sure that you can run it with just a bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2005
Chicago
With dvi cable and power adapter connected, you'll close the screen and the computer will sleep. You'll need at least one wired input device to wake it. You cannot wake the computer with a bluetooth device. There is a checkbox in bluetooth preferences apparently to enable this, but it is not "checkable." It's probably preperation for future functionality.

So no, you can't use bluetooth everything with screen closed.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Jon'sLightBulbs said:
You cannot wake the computer with a bluetooth device. There is a checkbox in bluetooth preferences apparently to enable this, but it is not "checkable."

I have it under Keyboard and mouse. And yes, it is "checkable". :confused:

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    52 KB · Views: 163

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
grapes911 said:
I have it under Keyboard and mouse. And yes, it is "checkable". :confused:

Yep it is checkble but only with apple bluetooth installed. In my powerbook it works no problem, in my powermac with a belkin usb bluetooth adapter, its uncheckable.

slinky0390

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
So no, you can't use bluetooth everything with screen closed.

is it just that i cant use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard.. because i bluetooth link my phone to my mac, is this possible when its running with the lid closed
that box is checkable in prefs.. does anyone know if it actually works.. cus i dont wanna spend 120 on a wireless mouse and keyboard set for nothing

slinky0390

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
ok.. i figured out the answer to my questions by reading the tech documents on apples website.. but.. is there anyway to change the 12 inch powerbook g4's resolution to 1280 x 768, because that is the native resolution of the monitor i want to get

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.