Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Got a 15" PB 1.5GHz for fifty bucks at the bay.
Everything perfect except the yellow tint of the screen.
Like the new iOS "NightShift" view, but it cannot switched off...
It migth be the ultimate device for night shifts, but I will certainly get a depression if I should be force to look all day at this yellow screen.
Maybe another "Griff in's Klo..." / grab into the loo...
Searching for solutions was either discouraging or without any helpful results.
Anyone here having the same problem?

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Have you checked the color profile in Settings>Displays?
Yes - I went through all exsisting color profiles and also through "expert mode" without any effect on the yellow tint of everything (and at most noticable and annying at white parts of the UI)
BTW: the sound of the 15" PB (even if it sports theese big speakers on both sides) is also much worse compared to the 12" PowerBook (but slightly better compared to the iBookG4).
I'm a really disappointed about this special 15" PB device.
Screen also has some pixel issues at the lower edge...

I will add this experience to my "Don't ever ... " list.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes - I went through all exsisting color profiles and also through "expert mode" without any effect on the yellow tint of everything (and at most noticable and annying at white parts of the UI)
BTW: the sound of the 15" PB (even if it sports theese big speakers on both sides) is also much worse compared to the 12" PowerBook (but slightly better compared to the iBookG4).
I'm a really disappointed about this special 15" PB device.
Well, then it sounds like it's probably the display. Perhaps why the previous owner wanted to be rid of it?

Swapping out the display shouldn't cost you much more than a few euros and some of your time as it's not very hard to do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-Genuine-Apple-PowerBook-G4-Aluminum-15-A1095-Complete-LCD-/300792674924

MODS! NOT MY AUCTION!!!

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Well, then it sounds like it's probably the display. Perhaps why the previous owner wanted to be rid of it?

Swapping out the display shouldn't cost you much more than a few euros and some of your time as it's not very hard to do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-Genuine-Apple-PowerBook-G4-Aluminum-15-A1095-Complete-LCD-/300792674924

MODS! NOT MY AUCTION!!!

Yes, must be a faulty display...
Event the Apple-looks a bit rotten with this yellow tint.
Unfortunately a display replacement will be more expensive than the whole unit.
I guess I will rather sell the PB (being honest about it's condition and maybe loose some money) than spent more time and energy on it (I'm really disappointed about those Potemkin village-like speakers on both sides of the keyboard ...)

Last edited:

paulcross22

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2016
Plymouth, UK.
Got a 15" PB 1.5GHz for fifty bucks at the bay.
Everything perfect except the yellow tint of the screen.
Like the new iOS "NightShift" view, but it cannot switched off...
It migth be the ultimate device for night shifts, but I will certainly get a depression if I should be force to look all day at this yellow screen.
Maybe another "Griff in's Klo..." / grab into the loo...
Searching for solutions was either discouraging or without any helpful results.
Anyone here having the same problem?

I've yet to have this issue, but one thing hat does annoy me is the weight of the screen. Bloody thing won't keep upright.

Are you in the uk? I have a display with a crack in, that works (there's a splodge of lcd bleed but the screen around it works). Comes with wifi antenna and Bluetooth. Pretty much full display.

If you pay postage you can have it to test the logic board to rule out the display? Let me know.
[doublepost=1461707270][/doublepost]
Yes, must be a faulty display...
Event the Apple-looks a bit rotten with this yellow tint.
Unfortunately a display replacement will be more expensive than the whole unit.
I guess I will rather sell the PB (being honest about it's condition and maybe loose some money) than spent more time and energy on it (I'm really disappointed about those Potemkin village-like speakers on both sides of the keyboard ...)

I bought a whole new display unit for £30 on eBay including postage. Thing works amazingly. Great what you can get on their if you're patient.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've yet to have this issue, but one thing hat does annoy me is the weight of the screen. Bloody thing won't keep upright.
That's probably a hinge issue. You can tighen them down by opening the case, finding the hinge clutches and tightening them down.

My 17" PowerBook is much larger and my display has no issues staying upright.

saxfun

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2016
Germany
I had the same with 1-2 Powerbooks in the last years. I used to have about 10-15 PowerBooks for audio workshops, mostly A1106, A1085, A1138 and A1139. You are right: the screen is damaged, you cannot do anything against it, even with colourprofiles . . . simply forget that deal.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
I had the same with 1-2 Powerbooks in the last years. I used to have about 10-15 PowerBooks for audio workshops, mostly A1106, A1085, A1138 and A1139. You are right: the screen is damaged, you cannot do anything against it, even with colourprofiles . . . simply forget that deal.
Hi, thanks for your info.
"... simply forget that deal." certainly is the best advise how to look at this thing.
I'm going to contact to seller for taking the thing back or refund at least partial refund.
But those deals and communication will end up filthy in most cases.
So better forget the deal and go on with nice things that actually work...
[doublepost=1461766459][/doublepost]

Are you in the uk? I have a display with a crack in, that works (there's a splodge of lcd bleed but the screen around it works). Comes with wifi antenna and Bluetooth. Pretty much full display.

If you pay postage you can have it to test the logic board to rule out the display? Let me know.
[doublepost=1461707270][/doublepost]

I bought a whole new display unit for £30 on eBay including postage. Thing works amazingly. Great what you can get on their if you're patient.

Many thanks for your kind offer - I guess it's a matter of the display and I don't want to spend to much time checking the unit for potential damage.
Maybe there will be a cheap replacement - otherwise I'm going to offer it as it is on ebay again, if the previous seller won't take it back.
There's always a little bit of dwindling.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.