Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
I'm thinking about selling my iBook G4 1.42GHz for a 12" 1.5GHz PowerBook. how easy are the PowerBooks to be dented and warped? I'm just afraid of that happening with me. Any experiences?

WeeShoo

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2005
North Carolina
My good friend has one, and he baby's it, had it for like a month and still no dents or any warping, anything can dent if something falls on it, but just as long as your careful, you'll be fine.

xinxin

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Re

I am using a powerbook 12" G4. I am working for 5 australian schools where teachers are using 14" ibook (if they prefer apple).

I found that:

- the handwork of powerbook is much better than ibook. Ibook get scratch, dirty easily. Rubber feets dropped easily.

- powerbook is much faster. ibook's speed is crap like an intel celeron.

- for both books, you can't compare them with image on apple website. The handwork are not that perfect.

- My powerbook didn't dent or warp. But i heard aluminum casing is actually worse than those solid plastic casing. I dont' believe my powerbook is stronger than your ibook if they drop from the same height to the ground.

I have been setting up HP laptops for my previous company for two years. Now I am dealing with apple ibooks and IBM laptops mainly. I am not happy with apple's quality. It seems a big gap between their design and manufacturing.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
I don't baby mine at all. It gets used every single day and it gets no special treatment. They don't dent all that easy, but a pretty good wack will leave one. Especially if it drops and lands on one of the corners or something. As far as warping goes...mine is 2.5 years old and I haven't had a problem. Great little 'book.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
I once fell asleep in bed with my powerbook. Sometime during the night, I decided to stretch and hit the powerbook; it flew off the bed and hit the carpeted floor, about 3.5 feet down. :eek: Lucky for me, it didn't do a thing. :)

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
xinxin said:
- powerbook is much faster. ibook's speed is crap like an intel celeron.
80MHz? 1.42GHz to 1.5GHz. Hmmmm, they aren't crap. You can't compare PPC to Intel. Ever. :rolleyes:

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
xinxin said:
Maybe it is due to ibook using 4200rpm hard drive. What if replace it to 7200rpm? :rolleyes:
uhhh, you said the iBooks are like an Intel Celeron :rolleyes: whater dude, i've got a G4 iBook 1.42GHz and it is NOT slow :rolleyes:

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
A PB will dent if your drop/ warp if you drop it, but other than that they are fine.

Why are you selling a 12'' iBook to move up to a 12'' PB? Seems like a waste of money to me.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Before I added a 12" iBook to my computer line-up in September, I used to take my 12" PB with me on the road. I am very careful with this while I am trasnporting it on the road by putting it in the proper computer bag (incase, Booq, or Brenthaven bags with the Targus Chill pad and Targus laptop desk; those pads will raise the Mac to protect from the potential liquid spillage on the desk in addition to their originally intended cooling functions).

I did not cause any damage on my PB during that time. So, as long as you are taking preper care, the PB will hold up well. Of course, I am not taking a chance with this anymore and I have delegated the out door/on the road duties to my 12" iBook. I used a portable external HD for the storage and I can hook it up to my other PBs at home to edit or review those files easily. I like the aesthetics of the current PB line (and also Ti PB) and I would like to keep my machines clean and nice (like I do with my own car which is always properly waxed/washed and will be parked in a garage or away from other cars in the public lot). I am somewhat messy (in terms of making clutters); but, I keep things clean.

DMPDX

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005
Very Easy

When I picked up my 15" the display was warped up at the corners:( I took it back and exchanged it, but the same one was still slightly bent at the corners. Aperently this is the case with a lot of the aluminum PB's. But if youre a power user go for it, but if youre just a hobby user you should re concider your ibook. It does a lot more than you'd think:rolleyes:

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
london
aquajet said:
I once fell asleep in bed with my powerbook. Sometime during the night, I decided to stretch and hit the powerbook; it flew off the bed and hit the carpeted floor, about 3.5 feet down. :eek: Lucky for me, it didn't do a thing. :)

I fell asleep in bed with a powerbook once, and woke in the morning to find it had left. And it never called...

JLatte

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2005
San Diego
At first I used to baby mine, however it soon became something I took everywhere, everyday, and I definitly put it to good use. I have the 12" 1 GHZ powerbook and it has warped on the right corner by the optical drive. Other than that, it's very well intact. This is after two years, mind you.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
Koodauw said:
A PB will dent if your drop/ warp if you drop it, but other than that they are fine.

Why are you selling a 12'' iBook to move up to a 12'' PB? Seems like a waste of money to me.
Uhhhh.. I'm upgrading from a 14". I need DVI for an ACD 23". :rolleyes:

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I have a year old 12" PowerBook. I don't baby it, but I'm also not rough with it. It gets taken off my desk and put in my backpack (which has a laptop compartment) every day, and gets carried around in my backpack all day. I obviously have heavy textbooks in my backpack a lot, and don't take any particular care in handling it, but I'm not unnecessarily rough with it either of course. Anyway, there are no dents any where on my PowerBook, and it sits flat on a table. There are a few very minor scratches, but nothing noticeable. The only thing that really bugs me is that the chrome has worn off the latch button on the front. However, it started coming off within a couple weeks of me buying it, so that seems to be just a manufacturing defect of some sort.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Powerbooks will not and cannot dent when care is taken. The one in my sig is nearing 6 months old and it hasn't got a single dent or scratch. It's been babied a bit :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.