Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBracy

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Chantilly, VA
Originally posted by novicegeek
The big thing I can't figure out is that if they're going to update the powerbooks to the 970 processor, why haven't the 17" gone down in price? Surely they're not going to release it in the 15" but not in the 17. And I do think that in the "year of the laptop" there's little chance of them updating the desktops to 970s and keeping the powerbooks with a slower processor. But perhaps they will.

The 17" hasn't gone down in price because it is already in short supply and selling fine.

Classic supply and demand:

1) When Demand outstrips Supply price will either stay the same or increase to reach an equilibrium.
2) When Supply outstrips Demand prices drop - sometimes below cost to recoup at least some of the money already spent on production

Economics 101 :rolleyes:

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by JBracy
Well the document I read lists the G4+ as 21.3 watts @ 1.0gHZ, and actually this document is not an IBM document but an independant review posted on IBM's website. Last time I checked 19 watts was cooler than 21.3.

Jason

obviously the document you read is IBM's marketing mumbo jumbo. The G4+ it lists is the first version of the 7455. There have been multiple revisions of the 7455, the latest (rev 3.3) running at 15 W (typical) @ 1.0 ghz. I know we're in the 'rumors business' but try to be a bit more precise.

JBracy

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Chantilly, VA
Originally posted by dongmin
obviously the document you read is IBM's marketing mumbo jumbo. The G4+ it lists is the first version of the 7455. There have been multiple revisions of the 7455, the latest (rev 3.3) running at 15 W (typical) @ 1.0 ghz. I know we're in the 'rumors business' but try to be a bit more precise.

How much more precise can I be than providing a link to my source of information?

Don't get over excited I was just quoting my information. I think at this point nobody has hard numbers on the actual production 970. Also not one has provided the spec for the ACTUAL power usage of the G4's used in current PB's.

Currently it's all alot of fun and speculation. At the end of the day no one is going to prove anyone else right or wrong until WWDC. We all have our opinion and it's just a bit of fun arguing them.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
How much more precise can I be than providing a link to my source of information?

Don't get over excited I was just quoting my information. I think at this point nobody has hard numbers on the actual production 970. Also not one has provided the spec for the ACTUAL power usage of the G4's used in current PB's.

Currently it's all alot of fun and speculation. At the end of the day no one is going to prove anyone else right or wrong until WWDC. We all have our opinion and it's just a bit of fun arguing them.

Here's the PDF spec sheet as provided by Motorola for the rev. 2 7455 that is used in the current Powerbooks. The power comsumption specs are on page 15.

http://e-www.motorola.com/brdata/PDFDB/docs/MPC7455EC.pdf

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by MacBandit
Here's the PDF spec sheet as provided by Motorola for the rev. 2 7455 that is used in the current Powerbooks. The power comsumption specs are on page 15.

http://e-www.motorola.com/brdata/PDFDB/docs/MPC7455EC.pdf
Try again, the people who ripped apart the 12-inch PowerBook found a XC7445A RX867WF which is the Rev 3.3 of the 7445/55...

Rev 2.1s end in C. :p

Yes it was just announced in volume shipments this month, but Apple had it early. ;)

The big bad PowerMac also had a Rev F/3.3 chip 7455.

When you look at the Rev. 3.3 on Motorola's site you'll see it in a couple different voltages.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Funny isn't how for some people Motorola's documentation is gospel, but an independent comparison of IBM and Motorola by http://www.MPRonline.com is considered to be "IBM's marketing mumbo jumbo" just because it reports favorably about IBM's chip and is posted on IBM's web site!:confused:

The problem is there is no such thing as an independant comparison. They have to get there information from somewhere and the place they get it is from the marketing departments.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Originally posted by Sun Baked
... just announced in volume shipments this month, but Apple had it early. ;)

ARGH!! Do you realize the possible implications of that?

(shudder) Apple may be getting 7457s early too...
No 970s in Powerbooks for a long time:eek:

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by maxigalaxy
When Apple release a new pb on the 23th (g4 or 970) and
for some reason they are not availible in store,do you think
the old one will be sold for a few days still in store or only on line?
Thanks

As with any product of Apples or any body elses there will be a large stock still in the hands of the authorized resellers. As for Apple the only way to get old stock is to buy the refurbished product otherwise for most products it is immediately discontinued and only sold through resellers.

maxigalaxy

macrumors member
As with any product of Apples or any body elses there will be a large stock still in the hands of the authorized resellers. As for Apple the only way to get old stock is to buy the refurbished product otherwise for most products it is immediately discontinued and only sold through resellers.

Thank you MacBandit
The point is that I'm leaving back to Europe on the 27th and I want to wait til the very last day to see if there is something new.
My concern is that if there is something new it won't be availible straight away and I won't have time to order it on line.
I'm waiting for the new 12" or the new 15".
What should I do?

:confused:
In Europe it's much more expensive

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Thank you MacBandit
The point is that I'm leaving back to Europe on the 27th and I want to wait til the very last day to see if there is something new.
My concern is that if there is something new it won't be availible straight away and I won't have time to order it on line.
What should I do?

I doubt the new products will be available immediately after announcement (as in, you can leave the store with them). In any case, just wait until after the Keynote because old products should be cheaper (read: bargains) at your local reseller, and available.

NicoMan

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Thank you MacBandit
What should I do?

Do you have family or friends in the states? Send them the money and have them purchase it and ship it to you.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Assuming this is accurate, couldn't it simply be a more in-depth overview of the new PowerBooks, PPC 970 or not? It would make sense to do something like this if it has some new, groundbreaking features, rather than just having Steve good ol' once over at the keynote.
Just a thought.

Visit Blue Pudding!
http://bluepudding.1hwy.com

filmusa

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
so what do I get

so is the 17 inch laptop still going to be better than the new 15 inch upgrade one they are supposdly coming out with?

i need to buy a laptop soon.

thanks

JBracy

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Chantilly, VA
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/06/24/future/

I think that says it all. Now G5 for the Powerbook for a while. I expect the G4s to really ramp up now. I think they have the 7457s ready and waiting and we'll be seeing 1.25s and greater in the laptops in no time. Also there really is no reason except battery life not to put a dual in the 17".

Also remember at the keynote SJ said that Pixlet requires a G4/1gHz, so I expect the 12" to move to 1gHz and the 15 and 17 to go to 1.25gHz. I also expect the 1gHz will be the minimum processor speed on all new/upgraded Macs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.