Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

domzanghi

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Last week my 'new' Power Mac G5 refurb tower (has small external airport antenna) died, so I asked Apple to return it and upgrade (with me paying) to a new dual-core Power Mac G5 2.0GHz. They agreed, but now I'm having severe airport reception issues.
The dual-core machine has the antenna built into the back of the machine (airport & bluetooth antenna). When I keep the side metal cover on the G5, I get no airport reception. As soon as I take off the side metal cover (and keep the plasic piece on), I have 5 bars & excellent internet speed. I know apple sells an external airport antenna, but it's $100. Is there a small fix for the problem? For example, I can run a 10' speaker wire to help receive my FM radio signal. Will the speaker wire connected to the Airport antenna help receive the 2.4GHz signal comin from the Linksys 802.11b router?
I am two floors away from the router, but my old iMac sitting next to the G5 gets pretty darn good reception with its internal airport antenna.
Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

Dom
Power Mac G5 Dual-core 2.0GHz w/ 512mb
Dell 20" monitor
Treo 650

funkpost

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2006
Denmark
Similar problems...or?

Hi!

I have a 2.3Ghz Dualcore G5, 2.5GB ram, with OS X 10.4.6 AND the Airport/Bluetooth kit installed.

Ever since I bought this machine, the Airport has been very unstable. F.eks., as I am sitting still working, the airport meter level can go from a full 5, to none!

What is worse, (and even more suspect), is that when I eg. export a movie from iMovie (= processors working hard), the speed on my internet is going almost dead! That is just so weird, isn't it?

Anyway, I don't experience that I cannot get a full meter with my metal sides on, but just that the meter is strangely un-stable! (As the airport is in general).

I would like to know whatever info you are able to retrieve on this matter.

Thanks!
Gunnar Kristiansen
Denmark.

(BTW: I also have a Treo 650 and a Dell 24" :))

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
wierd, I would have thought the new build in "strip" antenna would have worked better than the dinky plastic thing on the older g5's. In fact when the new g5's came out and I saw that new set up I was rather jealous (hey, it's an extra part to lose)

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Spare antenna anyone?

dornoforpyros said:
hey, it's an extra part to lose

Yes indeed it is!! I lost mine a few months back thinking I didn't need it, but I really need one now! Does anybody in the UK have a spare one lying around they'd like to give me? I can pay the postage!

:(

F

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.