Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by ethernet76
Dell and the PC lot also offer great price cuts.
Um, no. Dell charges us MORE if we purchase through our computer store than if we pay retail. The best deals from Dell are almost always in the 'small business store'.
Now, Adobe knows how to do Edu discounts!! 50% off is normal.

Why offer price cuts? A) A mac user now is usually a future mac user b)I'm sure they get some type of goverment tax break for educational sales.
I've never worked in an Edu computer store, but I've done mac support at Universities for years (and I've got friends who work in/run campus computer stores). I've never heard about any tax break from retailers for edu pricing. That's pure speculation. What exactly would they get a tax break on? The only thing taxible would be the income (profit) from the sale.. and reducing price reduces profit, which means less to get a tax break on.

c) Universities are more and more going to PCs because they are cheap. Dell already gives large discounts to universities that sign exclusive agreements with them.
Now I can't comment on exclusive contracts.. BUT our campus computer store only sells Dell PCs (and Macs) yet we do pay more for Dells than the average purchaser. Our Dell pricing is very firm yet Dell runs specials like crazy.

D) today's students are tomorrows businessmen. People who've used a mac would more likely base their business around a mac platform.
Your other points are true and relevant, but Apple does need to make a profit. I've long suggested [to Apple] that they should subsidize Game development on the Machintosh to gain marketshare, but I was told that 'Apple isn't in the business of losing money anymore'. Apple's margins on machines can run from roughtly 10% to over 20%. Their Edu discounts are fairly consistently 10%.

Personally, as someone who has been in the Edu system for a long time, I feel that Apple's hardware discounts are great. They tend to offer us great deals on software too. I seem to recall that we were recently offered 3 years of software maintenance for $75. That's 3 more versions of the MacOS X for $25 per copy. Not bad.

jmho
ffakr

OH, by the way...
Apple doesn't offer bulk G5 pricing at the Education Store for Institutions. I've not received any bulk pricing from our area Apple rep either.. which I usually get. It could be happening, but I haven't seen any indication that Apple is actually offering discounted bulk G5 pricing even though there is a good chance that I'd be in a position to know about it. :)

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Originally posted by takao
yeah we had that before ...european prices are very strange

i made a comparisation in excel where i calculated for 22 apple products(including ipod displays etc.) the price in dollar without tax
and then made the average
at the exchange rate of today 1euro = 1,28 dollar
prices here are 22.1% higher without tax

a few examples:
iMac 15": 14% more expensive
Powermac Dp 1.8: 17,5%
eMac without Superdrive: 20%
iPod 15 GB: 24%
all Powerbooks and TFT Screens: 27-28%

im gonna make the same comparisation later with all edu prices

You are probably right. But I think its worth to mention that a year ago the exchange rate was the other way around. I guess that before there are clear signs that the exchange rate will stay where it is today for a long period of time they will not change the prices, because if they drop the prices today they can't really raise them tomorrow.

My 2 cents

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
Originally posted by michaelal
Prices for MACs need to be much lower across the board, not just educational prices. Apple's arrogance in this matter has cost them dearly over the years. I love the new G5s, but the fact that they are so expensive and until recently have no kept up in speed really bites me!

Okay, please don't feed the pseudo-trolls. The fact that he refers to them as "MACs" alone should have told you that this is someone unfamiliar with the Macintosh platform and it's history.

Yes, during the Scully years, Apple showed a great deal of arrogance regarding pricing, believing that people would quite willingly pay a premium for a premium computer, and in so doing, pad the profit margins. That's definitely not the case these days.

Apple's current profit margins are thin on the iMacs, eMacs, iBooks and some of the G5 systems. The fact of the matter is that compared fairly, Macs have a lower cost of total ownership than comparable PCs, and the G5's are cheaper to buy than equally-equipped PC systems.

No, Apple isn't selling a $500 package deal, but then again, Apple doesn't have warehouses full of last year's computers which they need to dump quickly - you know - like Dell's recent TV ad sale.

(EDIT - added 'un' where it should have appeared in my original draft.)

Opteron

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2004
South Australia
I get a better discount in a PC store when I offer to pay in cash, Hell Apple's "Cost Price" for a USB connection to an iPod is $32AUD.

There education prices are a joke. Through and through.

mustech

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2004
PowerMac Edu Prices

Where do you see new pricing for BULK edu purchases? I looked at the online apple store and only saw the same pricing that has been offered from day one. Is there another place to look?

I don't understand a lot of the replies people have submitted. If this is a reduction in prices for BULK edu purchases, it clearly has no impact on someone who is looking to buy a G5 for themselves. Also, why the posts about sales tax? Schools don't pay any!

I submitted a proposal for 17 new G5s for my classroom, so if there has been a reduction in price, I'd love to be able to show that to my Tech director.
Mike

MagnusDredd

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Phoenix, AZ USA
MAC - Media Access Control (this is the hardware address on all ethernet cards) allows the routing packets on a switch. The MAC on this machine is: 00:03:93:66:f1:ba

Mac - Short for Macintosh
- Used as a form of address for a man whose name is unknown.

mac - A prefix, in names of Scotch origin, signifying son. ie: Manannan mac Lir

When you capitalize the word MAC, and you mean Macintosh it makes you look less intelligent.

As one of my english teachers used to say: (paraphrased) Using poor english detracts from your argument, by making you appear to know less than you actually may.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Originally posted by ffakr

OH, by the way...
Apple doesn't offer bulk G5 pricing at the Education Store for Institutions. I've not received any bulk pricing from our area Apple rep either.. which I usually get. It could be happening, but I haven't seen any indication that Apple is actually offering discounted bulk G5 pricing even though there is a good chance that I'd be in a position to know about it. :)

well, now that's very interesting. Has this price cut actually happened that anyone can verify? Here we have a member who seems to be exactly the type of person who would have heard about this price drop, yet he hasn't. Makes me wonder... anyone else?

morkintosh

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2003
you sir or ma’am are most welcome for the web site recommendation; i am always pleased to have the chance to encourage good grammar. i salute a true student of the english language.

i was remise to not thank you for your helpful suggestions ... the world is so fortunate to have people like yourself to issue we plebeians unsolicited advice, thereby making us better people.

thank you sir or ma’am for making this bulletin board a better place to post!

sigurros

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2003
They are probably lowering them to make for the new PMac's coming out (soon).

But yes, Apple needs to lower their education prices. This is one of the main reasons schools use PC's. It's all about budgets, and why not get 20 PC computers for the price of ten macs?!

School administrators generally look at money, not quality.

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by sigurros
They are probably lowering them to make for the new PMac's coming out (soon).

But yes, Apple needs to lower their education prices. This is one of the main reasons schools use PC's. It's all about budgets, and why not get 20 PC computers for the price of ten macs?!

School administrators generally look at money, not quality.

First off, there is still no evidence that there is ANY bulk EDU discount. I've yet to receive any such info and I've been in touch with my Apple rep quite a bit lately. This was a totally un-supported rumor.

Second, Apple's EDU discounts are almost always 10% off their retail. I've yet to see anyone show a vendor who give a better EDU discount on computers. I pointed out that our Dell EDU pricing is actually higher and no one has disputed this observation. I'd love to see cheaper prices as much as the next guy, but Apple needs to finance a LOT of R&D with a small fraction of the PC market. Unfortunately, their machines aren't as cheap to make as an eMachine so they need to charge good money to make a profit. Again, I'd love to see 25% off EDU discounts (because I qualify for EDU pricing) but that isn't realistic.

Finally, geez, lighten up on the language corrections. As pointed out, this isn't an english forum. It's a place for geeks to share info and opinions on a topic of interest to them. As long as the ideas come across adequately, who cares if there is an occasional faux paus.

FFakr
:D
(not as grumpy as he purports to be)

The Dreaming

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2004
Chicago, USA
Sort of on topic

Quick question: If I qualify for the Apple Educational Loan, what is the term??? It says "interest only payments for the first 24 months". So I have two years to pay the total accrued interest, but how much time do I have to pay off the principle??? Is it a Five year term? -So do I have three years to pay off the principle?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Re: Sort of on topic

Originally posted by The Dreaming
Quick question: If I qualify for the Apple Educational Loan, what is the term??? It says "interest only payments for the first 24 months". So I have two years to pay the total accrued interest, but how much time do I have to pay off the principle??? Is it a Five year term? -So do I have three years to pay off the principle?

Apparently, this information is located in your account agreement. I can't find it on the Apple Loans for Education page. One other thing: it's principal, not principle.

spacepower

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
I have to agree to some things

I have to agree to some things, such as Apple not adjusting their prices for other countries. Since I am an advocate for globalization ( which is for another thread ) I believe that if a DP 2gig cost 2999 in the US then it should cost the same ( eqivelant) in all other countries, before respective taxes. Apple can still get a good profit or even possibly better if it kept the prices even between countries. It might not expand the US market share but it could increase International sales and market share. I spent a couple years in Europe and Apple and other manufactures prices are rediculous (even b4 taxes). I bought a Canon camera lense that cost me double in Italy than it would have in the US. I lived in Hungary for awhile...

I had a PAL Sony PC110E MiniDV sent from the factory to the US. PAL stuff cost alot in the US. But I Bought the Sony Pal MiniDV cam and a round trip ticket for a friend from the US to Budapest (to bring me the camera), for less the the retail price (b4 VAT,25% In Hungary). I sympathize for the European consumers and others. I bought the camera for 1800USD plus 1000USD for the Plane ticket = 2800 which was less than the Hugarian pretax price. I could have bought the US version of the camera for 1200US. Still it was a better deal to have a friend bring it from the US. I am not bashing any countries import laws, but if you live in Western Europe, you may get get your money back in social services, but in Hungary hell no.

If you ever go to Budapest, go to Apple Corner near West End City center. There are very nice people there. I just feel alittle bad for them bc Apple is not adjusting their prices to correspond with US prices. I just don't see them seeling too many 4000USD DP G5 in Hungary.

Shame on Apple

It's even worse in Romania (been to a nice apple store there) where prices are high and average income is less than Hungary

PS
BTW if any one is interest i have a postcard that i can email a copy of, which was for the debut of the iMac in Prague(Czech Republic) in Czech lang. There was a giant inflatable 60ft iMac replica in the main tourist area of Prague. very cool :) but i don't of a picture of that :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.