Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Well, after almost 2 monthes I have almost got my Powermac G3 B&W done. I have completly rebuilt the computer. I have the rev.2 Logic Board with a 350 overclocked to a 400Mhz and 384mbs of RAM. I have a temp Hard Disk at 2GB VERY SMALL. I installed Mac OS X.2 and it runs O.K I think it needs more Hard Disk space. I also have a DVD-RAM drive and a USB 2.0 card and am waiting for Mac Skinz to reopen so I can get my Blue flames on the side. This setup is only costing me around $200 bucks so I am pretty happy with it.

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
cangrats spock, that's a niiiiiice machine you have...

just imagine all the possibilities you have for using it: OS9 abandonware game station, permanently hooked to your TV movie player, fileserver, iTunes stream box, BSD-box, and on and on... :)

you can even put a 802.11g PCI wifi-card in there and do all the stuff wireless...

cool machine

vSpacken

pepeleuepe

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2002
Los Angeles, California
Impressive machine for so cheap. Any tips on where to find similar componets at good prices? Or did you have a lot of the parts to begin with? Just curious since I would love to setup something like that as a music server/game emulator.

Thanks

Spock

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
pepeleuepe said:
Impressive machine for so cheap. Any tips on where to find similar componets at good prices? Or did you have a lot of the parts to begin with? Just curious since I would love to setup something like that as a music server/game emulator.

Thanks

I got most of my parts of eBay, and DV Warehouse I paid $20 for the modem and $109 for a case and a dead logicboard. I did not know the logicboard was dead so I had to buy one of eBay for $99. I am not sure how I got it for $99 but I did. I had the DVD-RAM and the 2GB hard disk from a old PC. The case is missing the front handle and looks kinda funny. I am not sure what I am going to use it for I just wanted to build my own Mac and that is basicly what I did. And I forgot the LB is rev.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.