Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reclzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
Good evening all.

I’ve got 2 PowerMac G4’s (MDD and QuickSilver) in storage, and I’ve suddenly become anxious about the battery on the logicboard and whether they’ll leak or not.
And I can’t go check on them atm.

Do the batteries leak like 286/386/486 motherboards or are they a different kind of batteries?

Cheers
Reclzz

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
To answer the OP: Those batteries (1/2 AA Lithium) are not, in my experience, prone to leaking. In fact, I don't recall seeing one of those batteries leaking. I have replaced or tested hundreds over the years, including dozens of PowerMacs that were being re-set after being in storage for varying periods of time. The batteries often die after the Mac is left unplugged, as you might do when a computer is not in active use. Leaking, IMO, would be quite unusual.

Reclzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
To answer the OP: Those batteries (1/2 AA Lithium) are not, in my experience, prone to leaking. In fact, I don't recall seeing one of those batteries leaking. I have replaced or tested hundreds over the years, including dozens of PowerMacs that were being re-set after being in storage for varying periods of time. The batteries often die after the Mac is left unplugged, as you might do when a computer is not in active use. Leaking, IMO, would be quite unusual.
Ty

Now I’m more relaxed, when I get around to it they’re gonna get looked through closely to get back to best condition they can, and they will indeed get new batteries.

Think one of them has some bad caps that needs replacing but not sure when I’ll get to it.
More projects than time I’m afraid.

Reactions: DeltaMac

mustagcoupe

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2020
They do not tend to leak but the red maxcell branded ones have a tendency to suddenly explode and shower the insides of the computer with corrosive goo. So far it seems to be only the red ones that explode but I would say its good policy to replace them every 5 years or so and remove them from any macs you intend to store for a long period.

Reclzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
They do not tend to leak but the red maxcell branded ones have a tendency to suddenly explode and shower the insides of the computer with corrosive goo. So far it seems to be only the red ones that explode but I would say its good policy to replace them every 5 years or so and remove them from any macs you intend to store for a long period.
So had my father check this morning, green varta in the first and a white saft ls in the second, so guessing they’re not orginal.

But no red maxcell, had him remove the batteries for good measure :)

Ty all for the replies!

Reactions: mustagcoupe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.