Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iulop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
My powermac g4 firewire 800 dual 1.42 gh 2gb of ram sometimes freezes at boot .That rainbow cursor wheel appears and my mac simply freezes . I am running mac os tiger on it .
Can someone help me please ?

iulop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
I already did a clean install . Sure hope there is nothing wrong with my hdd.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Boot from your install disk and tinker around - if it's fine booting from CD/DVD it points to HDD being faulty. You could also try a live Linux CD/DVD and try the same.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
I already did a clean install . Sure hope there is nothing wrong with my hdd.

This happened recently to my PowerBook 17" 1.67 with the factory 100GB 5400rpm drive. I kept getting the spinning color wheel of death when running WebKit.

A quick look in /Applications/Utilities/Console.app revealed thousands of lines of "Disk I/O error". It started to fail like this, so I tried erasing the HDD and a clean install, but within a few days it wouldn't even boot off the drive.

Reactions: philgxxd

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
next time you boot it up, press command v when you hear the startup chime. This will start printing a lot of status messages to the screen.

If it hangs, note the error.

If you have good, steady hands, or a tripod, you can photograph the error for future reference. (I really shouldn't have to say this. but blurry pics are, of course, useless).
You can also boot the mac into target disk mode, and look at
var/log/system.log on the powermac's drive

Last edited:
Reactions: philgxxd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.