Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notheremuch

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2005
Since the general feeling seems to be dual core only at the top end of the PM line, between the lastest rev 2x2G and the last rev 2x2.5G, which should I choose?

There is (where I am) a c.$400 price difference... The only difference on paper that I see, besides the speed and RAM expandability, is the 8x vs 16x+dual Superdrives.

1. I will not burn dual layers anyway for the long foreseeable future.
2. My usage is photoshop and hobby level iMovie HD and soon FCE.
3. 2.5RAM today seems right size and price wise.
4. I am uncertain about the addition price bringing noticable speed improvement.

Thanks! (You solved my questions last time with solid advice!) :)

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Wait til expo and it might change your mind.
If you do not like the new offerings, you can get a discontinued models of the ones you listed at a very good price, $200 - $500 off I think.

notheremuch

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2005
I know the expo is only 2 days away... but I have been putting off my purchase for 3 weeks now, so I am preparing to buy this week. I am assuming that there will not be dual core in the bottom 2 PowerMacs! If I am wrong and there is nothing more than a minimal price increase, the answer for me is clearly a dual core.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
The newest Rev C 2.0 GHz model uses the prosumer motherboard
which limits you to 4 GB RAM and 33MHz standard PCI expansion slots.

Many users are wary about the longevity of the water cooled 2.5, as well as the 2.7 Some were also having noise issues and they run pretty hot.

The best 2 current PowerMac options are the 2.3 NEW or
trying to catch a refurbished Rev B 2.0.

If Apple does upgrade the PowerMacs next week, consider the benefits
of any new features against the benefit of a great price on a 2.3

This would also trickle down to the refurbs as well, so you ight get a fantastic deal on a Rev B 2.0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.