Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Explelsius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2020
Its a work in progress, I'm just now waiting for the back panel and motherboard tray to finish the build.

Explelsius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2020
Finished 99% a few tweaks left but its working with original LED and power button. IMG_0211.jpeg IMG_0212.jpeg IMG_0214.jpeg IMG_0215.jpeg

Applicator

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2021
Germany
Firstable, well done. One could think, this case was designed to house an mATX board, and I like the black & white color scheme, even tough I think a glossy white would look even better.
Reminds me a little of an Alienware..
But I was wondering, why one would pair a high end 12 Core 3900X with a (kind of, compared to the CPU) low end RX 5500 XT when a 5700 is maybe 20% more expensive? Because your choice in CPU and memory size suggest, this built is not about the best price/performance ratio or on a tight budget.

Reactions: iMac-iPad

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Firstable, well done. One could think, this case was designed to house an mATX board, and I like the black & white color scheme, even tough I think a glossy white would look even better.
Reminds me a little of an Alienware..
But I was wondering, why one would pair a high end 12 Core 3900X with a (kind of, compared to the CPU) low end RX 5500 XT when a 5700 is maybe 20% more expensive? Because your choice in CPU and memory size suggest, this built is not about the best price/performance ratio or on a tight budget.

Have you seen GPU prices recently? They are through the roof right now. Plus hard to find in stock. The 5700 and 5700XT are listing for over $1,100 on PCPartpicker. They are being bought up by miners and scalpers. So, trying to find anything in store and close to MSRP is difficult.

Explelsius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2020
I wanted the 5700 XT but it was more to do with what was available as GPU stock is low, i also have a Vega 64 Strix, but was way too big for the case and thermals are not great on Vega's.

Applicator

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2021
Germany
Have you seen GPU prices recently? They are through the roof right now. Plus hard to find in stock. The 5700 and 5700XT are listing for over $1,100 on PCPartpicker. They are being bought up by miners and scalpers. So, trying to find anything in store and close to MSRP is difficult.
Yes, I have and I even did a quick check on eBay before I posted this question (new items/demo units + commercial seller + full warranty+ in europe) and found a few legit offers. 5500xt ≈ 500€, 5700 ≈700€. I would have spend the extra on the 5700, but I get the point.
Hopefully this Bitcoin BS is crashing anytime soon.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
M1 is a RISC processor, the cousin to the PowerPC.. how will bootcamp run on an M1 Mac, thats like saying Bootcamp will run on a PowerPC Mac ?? M1 will bring the end of the Hackintosh.
I am sorry you are so angry, but the end of Hackintosh is now a reality. Just try to run M1 OS on intel hardware.. personally, my battle is not with M1, since i see this as the return of RISC over CISC. PowerPC was also RISC, though I feel Apple could have allowed Snow Leopard to be the last OS for PowerPC macs. Hackintosh is so hard to set up that as a community it is now a fringe community. I know, I have a Gateway p-7805u fx laptop, and under Chimera I was able to get as high as EL Capitan to run - certainly, did not like it as the fans would roar and no power management + DSD bS programming which was a waste of time.

Yes, here are the following things I dislike:

Hackintosh
Intel
Anything that denies PowerPC and M1 the rights to live and thrive.
Oh, and also I dislike all things Microsoft - this will be in my simple HTML website once i launch it - it will be written on my PowerBook G4 Titanium.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I am sorry you are so angry, but the end of Hackintosh is now a reality. Just try to run M1 OS on intel hardware.. personally, my battle is not with M1, since i see this as the return of RISC over CISC. PowerPC was also RISC, though I feel Apple could have allowed Snow Leopard to be the last OS for PowerPC macs. Hackintosh is so hard to set up that as a community it is now a fringe community. I know, I have a Gateway p-7805u fx laptop, and under Chimera I was able to get as high as EL Capitan to run - certainly, did not like it as the fans would roar and no power management + DSD bS programming which was a waste of time.

Yes, here are the following things I dislike:

Hackintosh
Intel
Anything that denies PowerPC and M1 the rights to live and thrive.
Oh, and also I dislike all things Microsoft - this will be in my simple HTML website once i launch it - it will be written on my PowerBook G4 Titanium.

Are you...arguing with yourself?...

Explelsius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2020
Firstly Intel Hackintoshes will be around for at least another 5 years, WWDC 21 will bring its last major release to intel macOS 12, future updates will be security patches for another 5 years, maybe 7 max before the mac pro is deemed obsolete. In regards to ARM based hackintoshes, I wouldn't rule it out completely , but i suspect they will build their OS the same way as iOS devices which will mean future updates will be .IPA based and signed. The M1 isn't just an ARM architecture it's a whole package of apple technology, that your standard ARM chip doesn't have, There are people trying to port over macOS to ARM but so far hasn't been successful. I wouldn't hold your hopes up of future hackintoshes based around ARM. But as i said it's not entirely over yet.

Reactions: Project Alice

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Firstly Intel Hackintoshes will be around for at least another 5 years, WWDC 21 will bring its last major release to intel macOS 12, future updates will be security patches for another 5 years, maybe 7 max before the mac pro is deemed obsolete. In regards to ARM based hackintoshes, I wouldn't rule it out completely , but i suspect they will build their OS the same way as iOS devices which will mean future updates will be .IPA based and signed. The M1 isn't just an ARM architecture it's a whole package of apple technology, that your standard ARM chip doesn't have, There are people trying to port over macOS to ARM but so far hasn't been successful. I wouldn't hold your hopes up of future hackintoshes based around ARM. But as i said it's not entirely over yet.

One of the biggest killers would be video drivers. MacOS won't have any drivers for the iGPU on any of the ARM systems not using Apple Silicon. Unless companies start releasing boards with PCIe slots to the general public. There won't be much hope of using an AMD GPU or even a dedicated Apple Silicon GPU. If Apple ever creates such a thing.

While AMD drivers are possible. It may very well play out like nVidia. Where Apple won't allow the drivers.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
From my previous dealings with the applesphere and internet, I thought powerPC was supposedly going to end intel win86 PCs back in the day. ha ha. how did that go? Ahh right. INTEL pc is still here and apple is once again trying the same thing. Guess what, after 5 years apple will be reverting to intel again. Just the way it is. They are not stupid, and they know the apple faithful will buy up anything they say and make.

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
From my previous dealings with the applesphere and internet, I thought powerPC was supposedly going to end intel win86 PCs back in the day. ha ha. how did that go? Ahh right. INTEL pc is still here and apple is once again trying the same thing. Guess what, after 5 years apple will be reverting to intel again. Just the way it is. They are not stupid, and they know the apple faithful will buy up anything they say and make.
They won‘t. Apple uses own designs now, not IBM’s or Feescale‘s. Apple is a very different company now, there is a new player - TSMC - and a new architecture (Arm).
Things change. Times change.
The situation today is nothing like it was back then

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
They won‘t. Apple uses own designs now, not IBM’s or Feescale‘s. Apple is a very different company now, there is a new player - TSMC - and a new architecture (Arm).
Things change. Times change.
The situation today is nothing like it was back then
M1 is just powerPC take 2. that's all. Again, M1 is not going to end intel. Just as PowerPC never ended intel years ago. PowerPC and M series are one in the same. The same kick at the can against intel. Apple fans thought PowePC was intel killers back then and apple fans think M1 are intel killers now. NOPE!

Thing is apple lem....i mean users like yourself have this dilusion that EVERY PC user is just going to flock to apple. Most give two squirts of you know what about processor, etc. only a few rabid fans. Most turn on their computers, do their work and whatnot and turn it off again. They don't care if it has an intel, M1, ford or braun processor. They DON'T CARE. They care that it has windows on it since windows is the standard for OS and computer usage. Simple. I know it's hard for dilusional apple fans to not grasp why everyone would not want to use the AMAZING, BEST, blah blah blah apple products. But 90 percent of computer users Dont care. So, as I stated, Intel will be just fine and M series chips are NOT going to end intel or AMD.

Last edited:
Reactions: mi7chy

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
M1 is just powerPC take 2. that's all. Again, M1 is not going to end intel. Just as PowerPC never ended intel years ago. PowerPC and M series are one in the same. The same kick at the can against intel. Apple fans thought PowePC was intel killers back then and apple fans think M1 are intel killers now. NOPE!

Thing is apple lem....i mean users like yourself have this dilusion that EVERY PC user is just going to flock to apple. Most give two squirts of you know what about processor, etc. only a few rabid fans. Most turn on their computers, do their work and whatnot and turn it off again. They don't care if it has an intel, M1, ford or braun processor. They DON'T CARE. They care that it has windows on it since windows is the standard for OS and computer usage. Simple. I know it's hard for dilusional apple fans to not grasp why everyone would not want to use the AMAZING, BEST, blah blah blah apple products. But 90 percent of computer users Dont care. So, as I stated, Intel will be just fine and M series chips are NOT going to end intel or AMD.
PowerPC and the ARM based chips are both RISC CPUs and that is where the similarities begin and end.

Now, if by “one in the same” you mean they are both Apple’s shot at their own in-house CPUs (PowerPC was designed by Apple, IBM, and Motorola so they were sort of designed by Apple) then you’d be correct. But no, M series and PPC are not the same.

PowerPC CPUs were x86 killers or “Intel killers” for quite awhile actually, at least for certain tasks. Clock speed per clock speed it was generally much faster at doing most tasks. This was true until the AMD Athlon XP and early Intel Core series era which was when Apple switched. That wasn’t because PPC sucked, it didn’t. It was because IBM sort of screwed them over. FreeScale later proved that PPCs are still viable.

As to the rest of this post about PC users vs Apple users or whatever; that’s totally moot at this point. The only people who use computers now are students, workplace/office stuff, hobbyists, or gamers. Everybody else uses their phone or tablet. The whole PC vs Mac argument is becoming more and more obscure because computers are. Office/work place scenarios use PCs, because they’re cheap and anything that has a keyboard could do the job. Gamers use PCs for obvious reasons. Students mostly use Macs because of portability and battery life; and like most users probably don’t give a sh*t what operating system their note taking application (MS Word) is running on.
Since the rise of SSDs, processing power is also mostly irrelevant. Making the x86 vs M series more irrelevant. A Core 2 Duo running Windows with a decent SSD isn’t going to feel any slower to the average consumer launching Chrome or MS Word than an M1 Mac is.
The only people who care are again, gamers, hobbyists, and the handful of creative professionals and software devs.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Digging the black and white Star Wars theme. I took a shortcut and put a raised Apple logo on my 486 PC going from Apple II since it was a more natural progression.

Also planning to do a hackintosh but waiting for Big Navi 6800 drivers otherwise have 5600xt as a backup.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
In other words, the very definition of using a computer should be for not just YouTube and games, but also for productivity..

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Everybody else uses their phone or tablet. The whole PC vs Mac argument is becoming more and more obscure because computers are
the first thing i do after some coffee is turn on the laptop, play music-crystal clear music, photo edit, check the scripts from the previous day, email. the last thing I do I turn off the laptop usually from watching a movie or tv show i'm researching , then the lights.
i cannot perform these task on an phone or tablet.
many other people do the same thing, and i think the notebook will make a rise in sales this year.
the PC MAC argument is mostly disgruntled sounding offs from notebook users who are fed up with their system.

Reactions: Project Alice

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
the first thing i do after some coffee is turn on the laptop, play music-crystal clear music, photo edit, check the scripts from the previous day, email. the last thing I do I turn off the laptop usually from watching a movie or tv show i'm researching , then the lights.
i cannot perform these task on an phone or tablet.
many other people do the same thing, and i think the notebook will make a rise in sales this year.
the PC MAC argument is mostly disgruntled sounding offs from notebook users who are fed up with their system.
You are in the group of people I was referring to in the rest of my post. Photo editing\photography is a profession (even if you do it as a hobby, it is still a profession for some people).

I agree that tablets are useless for anything real. My point was about the average consumer. You aren't the average consumer. I would assume most people on an internet forum like this one aren't either. Most of us in here are for a reason.
For example, my mom doesn't need laptop. Only like 3 or 4 out of my 20 or so coworkers even own a computer right now.

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I agree that tablets are useless for anything real. My point was about the average consumer. You aren't the average consumer.
i was telling peoples his in 1995 when windows 95 came out and made the computer a open field disaster.
people will use what ever is simple and easy and POPULAR!
which is why i think notebooks are making a small rebound, people are tired now of getting ads/tracked and hacked!

once google and apple hopefully lose their monopoly over tablets and phones, there wont be cheaper phones and easy apps anymore, but i am a dreamer and write fiction-humor and the Us federal junction wont happen.

and

I also read this Friday the Asahi Linux has a disrto for these new M1 MacBooks and can be portioned with big sur.

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
Nice job. That looks great! I've got an old Mac Pro 1,1 that's finally retired. Maybe next VR Gaming Rig upgrade I'll hack that up and build my rig out of it. That would be a fun 'little' project. I could see using the entire separate upper section (where the optical drives and power supply reside currently) for a 'cooling tube' - liquid cooler assembly with a fan front and rear. Something like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.