Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timenprayer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Hello, Very anxiously awaiting 3AM EST on 10/27 to pre-order the iPhone X. I've recently started practicing the pre-order process (based on the current ordering process for the iPhone 8) and I want to take as many steps as I can to make the process as quick as possible - given the frequent macrumors posts about limited stock.

Question: After I have deleted the model, carrier, finish, capacity and payment options - I get the blue bar with "continue" on the bottom. I'm then told "next, let's confirm your carrier." Just then, my iPhone auto-populates the wireless number, billing zip code, and last 4 of SSN. It then tries to carrier verify and comes back with- "The mobile number that was entered does not match the billing zip code and/or Social Security number. Please try again."

I don't have time for that error in a pre-order scenario, where every second counts. My question is - from where does the pre-populated information come, and how can I update it so it's correct - so that the first time it pre-populates I can move onto the next step, rather than being hung up with an error. I am betting that server loads are going to be at a premium on the night of iPhone X preorders.

Another question - If I currently have a Next balance, when I pay full price for a new iPhone X, what happens? Does the next balance become immediately due, or will they still allow me to pay out installments?

Thanks in advance!

applewatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
NorCal
"The mobile number that was entered does not match the billing zip code and/or Social Security number. Please try again."

You get that error message when the SSN doesn't match the one on file with the carrier.

Are you the account holder on your carrier plan? If not then you would need the last four digits of the account holder's SSN and the account holder would need to give you access to upgrading your phone before everything is verified.

For example:

I'm on my parents' plan and my dad is the account holder on the Verizon account. He needed to bump me up to "account manager" (meaning: I can upgrade my phone without him being there physically).

Timenprayer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
You get that error message when the SSN doesn't match the one on file with the carrier.

Are you the account holder on your carrier plan? If not then you would need the last four digits of the account holder's SSN and the account holder would need to give you access to upgrading your phone before everything is verified.

For example:

I'm on my parents' plan and my dad is the account holder on the Verizon account. He needed to bump me up to "account manager" (meaning: I can upgrade my phone without him being there physically).

My wife and I are on a plan together. I already have "account manager' access. I'm just wondering - how do I update the information that pre-populates to my wife's information? I'm guessing I get the error because it's mine information that's in there. How do I get it to pre-populate her information?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Another question - If I currently have a Next balance, when I pay full price for a new iPhone X, what happens? Does the next balance become immediately due, or will they still allow me to pay out installments?

If you're paying for the X in full, then you should just be able to continue to pay the installments. The only scenario I see where you would need to pay your current Next phone balance in full is if you switched cell carriers.

Timenprayer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
If you're paying for the X in full, then you should just be able to continue to pay the installments. The only scenario I see where you would need to pay your current Next phone balance in full is if you switched cell carriers.

Thanks very much for answering this question - appreciate it! :)

Reactions: nburwell

iphone joe

Suspended
Feb 10, 2011
NY
I currently use the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program. My question is this, prior to 10.27 can I go through all the steps for the upgrade so when pre order starts all I have to do is click buy?

Reactions: apwtwenty

mg2687

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
I'm in the same position and would also love to know from where this info pre-populates. I assume it's using my SSN and not the primary account holders, so I'd love to update the pre-populated info with the correct SSN so I'm not having to re-enter after an error message during pre-order order time. Any help would be appreciated!
[doublepost=1508733523][/doublepost]
My wife and I are on a plan together. I already have "account manager' access. I'm just wondering - how do I update the information that pre-populates to my wife's information? I'm guessing I get the error because it's mine information that's in there. How do I get it to pre-populate her information?

Success! In the Apple Store app, go to Account --> and uncheck "Remember Me." Then go through the process again, re-enter the correct SSN and leave "Remember Me" checked and it should pre-populate with that info going forward.

Reactions: Bako-MacAddict

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
You actually don’t even need to go through the process again. Go to account settings in the account tab of the Apple store app, turn off the ‘remember me’ button then check the button again to turn it on. When you reactivate it the app will prompt you you reenter all of that information.

I just went through the same issue/solution today. Good luck!

Reactions: Bako-MacAddict

Timenprayer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
You actually don’t even need to go through the process again. Go to account settings in the account tab of the Apple store app, turn off the ‘remember me’ button then check the button again to turn it on. When you reactivate it the app will prompt you you reenter all of that information.

I just went through the same issue/solution today. Good luck!

This is brilliant and it worked perfectly!

Since I’m on ATT and will be paying in full, I think I’m just going to order a T-mobile phone which doesn’t require any carrier validation. Should make my preorder several seconds faster and hopefully increase launch day delivery probability.

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
Biggest step need to do are

1/ log in itune account
2/ log in icloud

those step always keep log out and sometime apple request to stay connected that pull time couple minutes too ,

Bootleg Gucci

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
NoVA
This is brilliant and it worked perfectly!

Since I’m on ATT and will be paying in full, I think I’m just going to order a T-mobile phone which doesn’t require any carrier validation. Should make my preorder several seconds faster and hopefully increase launch day delivery probability.

I'm on ATT too and thought about preordering the T-Mobile iphone X. But, there are plenty of people with the SAME exact plan including resellers, so the demand will be higher vs carrier verified models (ATT Verizon Sprint).

Rob198612

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Miami
I'm in the same position and would also love to know from where this info pre-populates. I assume it's using my SSN and not the primary account holders, so I'd love to update the pre-populated info with the correct SSN so I'm not having to re-enter after an error message during pre-order order time. Any help would be appreciated!
[doublepost=1508733523][/doublepost]

Success! In the Apple Store app, go to Account --> and uncheck "Remember Me." Then go through the process again, re-enter the correct SSN and leave "Remember Me" checked and it should pre-populate with that info going forward.

You are the man!!!! I was going crazy with his for weeks trying to figure out what the hell since I don’t have a passcode on my att account tried it and works

horatiub

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
I'm on ATT too and thought about preordering the T-Mobile iphone X. But, there are plenty of people with the SAME exact plan including resellers, so the demand will be higher vs carrier verified models (ATT Verizon Sprint).

It still might be faster to go through that process. Saves at least 5-10 seconds

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.