Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WanderlustSoul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2023
California
Hi everyone, I'm planning a 4-day trip to Prague and seeking insider tips. As an English speaker without knowledge of the Czech language, I want to explore beyond top sites and experience authentic local areas providing a true sense of Prague's character. In addition to landmarks like Charles Bridge and Old Town Square, I'm interested in cool cafés, unique views, interesting shops selling Czech goods/food. I also seek historic area suggestions with great atmosphere. With limited time, I'll explore independently without guided tours but want to uncover hidden cultural finds beyond typical guides. Please share advice for experiencing Prague's soul off the beaten paths. I've heard that English is not widely spoken outside the capital, but I am open to suggestions if anyone who has been to sites and didn't have difficulty speaking only English.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
A day trip to the Sedlec Ossuary (Bone chapel) is an absolute most do.

IMG_6371.jpeg

See https://sedlecossuary.com/

Reactions: rhett7660 and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hi everyone, I'm planning a 4-day trip to Prague and seeking insider tips. As an English speaker without knowledge of the Czech language, I want to explore beyond top sites and experience authentic local areas providing a true sense of Prague's character. In addition to landmarks like Charles Bridge and Old Town Square, I'm interested in cool cafés, unique views, interesting shops selling Czech goods/food. I also seek historic area suggestions with great atmosphere. With limited time, I'll explore independently without guided tours but want to uncover hidden cultural finds beyond typical guides. Please share advice for experiencing Prague's soul off the beaten paths. I've heard that English is not widely spoken outside the capital, but I am open to suggestions if anyone who has been to sites and didn't have difficulty speaking only English.
There’s a castle up on the hill, a preserved concentration a bus ride away, and watch yourself in the tourist area, Russian mafia as our guide told us… :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I spent a few months in Prague (and the Czech Republic) just over twenty years ago, hence, my recommenations may be somewhat out of date.

Anyway, re Czech goods: Czech glass - cut glass and glassware - is quite well known, and enjoys a long historic tradition, and there are some excellent shops in Prague which sell this stuff.

To be quite candid, the local cuisine is not Prague's strong point (apart from their excellent open face sandwiches, which are a local tradition), but their beer is outstanding (to my mind, Czech beer is almost at the invariably superb standards you will find in Belgium and Germany), and some of their pub snacks are not to be sneered at (such as hermelín, a sort of marinated, pickled, spiced cheese).

If culture is of interest to you, a visit to the opera (in some amazing old palaces - I heard the opera Don Giovanni - by W A Mozart, in the Estates Theatre, the very building where Mozart himself conducted the world premiere of Don Giovanni in 1787) is both pretty easy to arrange (get your hotel to do it, or ask the tourist office to do the needful, or a Czech friend) and (good tickets) are (or were) very affordable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That, along with "prepone", are my favorite Hinglish sayings!
A friend who spent considerable time in India told me about the wonderful (and wonderfully descriptive) expression "shoe bites" to describe the extraordinarily uncomfortable sensation - that experience of breaking in - and trying to wear - a pair of shoes that are (perhaps new and) too tight and that pinch your feet as a consequence.

The same friend also explained the gloriously Indian descriptive term "bed tea", demonstrating as she brought me an early morning (she is very much a morning creature) - a very welcome early morning - cup of tea when I, still almost comatose, had barely opened my eyes, in bed, - I was a guest in their lovely Georgian house - (and thoughtfully brought one to her husband also).

Last edited:

WanderlustSoul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2023
California
There’s a castle up on the hill, a preserved concentration a bus ride away, and watch yourself in the tourist area, Russian mafia as our guide told us… :)

Do you think a tour guide is a must, at least on the tourist areas, for a first-timer like me? I also heard there are lots of pickpockets.

WanderlustSoul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2023
California
I spent a few months in Prague (and the Czech Republic) just over twenty years ago, hence, my recommenations may be somewhat out of date.

Anyway, re Czech goods: Czech glass - cut glass and glassware - is quite well known, and enjoys a long historic tradition, and there are some excellent shops in Prague which sell this stuff.

To be quite candid, the local cuisine is not Prague's strong point (apart from their excellent open face sandwiches, which are a local tradition), but their beer is outstanding (to my mind, Czech beer is almost at the invariably superb standards you will find in Belgium and Germany), and some of their pub snacks are not to be sneered at (such as hermelín, a sort of marinated, spiced cheese).

If culture is of interest to you, a visit to the opera (in some amazing old palaces - I heard the opera Don Giovanni - by W A Mozart, in the Estates Theatre, the very building where Mozart himself conducted the world premiere of Don Giovanni in 1787) is both pretty easy to arrange (get your hotel to do it, or ask the tourist office to do the needful, or a Czech friend) and (good tickets) are (or were) very affordable.
Thank you so much for your suggestions! They are all easy to add to any itinerary, and I really appreciate your help.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Do you think a tour guide is a must, at least on the tourist areas, for a first-timer like me?
Get recommendations - even from the tourist office, or, one of the universities; I would suggest hiring one for certain specific places, day trips, or transactions, or, if you know anyone who has Czech links, ask them to recommend a friend, relative, who can even spend an hour or two with you; someone who speaks the local language can be a great help.

I also heard there are lots of pickpockets.
I can confirm the pickpockets; they are exceedingly skilful, deft fingered and very, very experienced.

Colleagues suffered.

Any money, wallet etc should stay in an inside pocket of a jacket - not in jeans, and not in a rucksack.

Reactions: Huntn

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Do you think a tour guide is a must, at least on the tourist areas, for a first-timer like me? I also heard there are lots of pickpockets.
I found English was widely spoken in Prague. I tour guide is not required at all but if you are only there for a few days it might be expedient especially if you’re traveling alone.

Rome, Venice, Paris, New York are much bigger crime/pickpocketing risks than Prague. Stay aware and you’ll be safe.

We were there in June, while there is a Russian expat community, in general (especially in the city) there is a VERY strong commitment to Ukraine, a very sensitive political subject.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

WanderlustSoul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2023
California
Get recommendations - even from the tourist office, or, one of the universities; I would suggest hiring one for certain specific places, day trips, or transactions, or, if you know anyone who has Czech links, ask them to recommend a friend, relative, who can even spend an hour or two with you; someone who speaks the local language can be a great help.

I can confirm the pickpockets; they are exceedingly skilful, deft fingered and very, very experienced.

Colleagues suffered.

Any money, wallet etc should stay in an inside pocket of a jacket - not in jeans, and not in a rucksack.
I'm a little nervous, but I'm still determined to go on this trip. I may have to change my original plan to explore without a guide, because it's better to be safe than sorry. Thank you for the valuable tips!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm a little nervous, but I'm still determined to go on this trip. I may have to change my original plan to explore without a guide, because it's better to be safe than sorry. Thank you for the valuable tips!

You should be fine, but just remember to take sensible precautions.

The thing about the language is that - unlike, say, French, or German, or Spanish, - it is not a major European language (yes, it's part of the Slavic language family, but it is not as close - linguistically - to Russian as some people think), which means that even well educated people heading there won't usually know (any of) the local language.

Reactions: Chuckeee

WanderlustSoul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2023
California
I found English was widely spoken in Prague. I tour guide is not required at all but if you are only there for a few days it might be expedient especially if you’re traveling alone.

Rome, Venice, Paris, New York are much bigger crime/pickpocketing risks than Prague. Stay aware and you’ll be safe.

We were there in June, while there is a Russian expat community, in general (especially in the city) there is a VERY strong commitment to Ukraine, a very sensitive political subject.
I generally avoid talking about politics, but I'll keep your advice in mind, especially since I tend to let my guard down when I'm drinking. Thanks for the reassuring words!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks to all of you, I'm feeling much more prepared for my upcoming trip. I have decided to hire a local guide for a custom tour on my first day, from https://gowithguide.com/czech-republic/guides

I will wander on my own on the second and third days, and I have reserved a day of spa at Karlovy Vary on my last day (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlovy_Vary)
I think a tour on your first day is an excellent idea, for - among other things - it will help you orientate yourself re the actual physical geography of the place.

WanderlustSoul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2023
California
I think a tour on your first day is an excellent idea, for - among other things - it will help you orientate yourself re the actual physical geography of the place.
I'm excited 🤗 for the tour on the first day. I still have not finalized my itinerary for Day 2 but the suggestions here that I will not be able to visit on the first day will be first priority. Day 3 I'm thinking of hitting up Bohemian Switzerland. My tired feet definitely need relaxing in the spa 😆 on my last day. Thanks again to everyone!

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
There's some fab cafes in Prague, Cafe Slavia was one I rated, it opened in 1881 and we had really nice food there.

I've also got a soft spot for paternoster elevators, and there's one in the shopping centre attached to Kino Lucerna which is open part of the year, but there's also one in city hall open year round which is well worth popping in to see as you'll blatantly be near it at some point during your trip.

The shopping centre in Kino Lucerna is well worth a look, its a art deco shopping centre, and Kino Lucerna is an original art deco cinema although I've never been inside the actual cinema, its got a nice art deco cafe attached.

We really regretted not going to the sedlec ossuary and will head back at some point just to do that, but otherwise you've got the castle, the bridge, the square and the jewish quarter which are the biggies to visit.

Reactions: Chuckeee

WanderlustSoul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2023
California
Café Slavia looks like a must-visit. I watched a YouTube video of the paternoster elevator in the city hall, and it looks like fun! I also heard there's a Medieval Underground and Dungeon tour for when you head back for the Sedlec Ossuary. 💀

WanderlustSoul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2023
California
That Medieval Underground and Dungeon tour is bit of a cheesy tourist trap. If you have the time it kinda interesting and sort of fun but I would not consider it a priority
Thanks for the heads-up on the Medieval Underground and Dungeon tour, @Chuckeee. I was really curious about it, but I guess it makes sense that it's expensive, especially if some tours are done at night. 🤔

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.