Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Macsense Xrouter
product_mih120.jpg
They also made a "pro" model in graphite (of course) ;) – MIH-130 XRouter Pro:

Macsense XROUTER MIH-130 Pro 1.jpg

After some online digging I found some more info. It was apparently founded back in '97 and announced the speakers with great fanfare in March 1999, but quit production and shutted its door two years later. During this time they only made and sold the Apolla Speakers in Bondi and fruit colors, Apolla Speakers II in blue/graphite, as well as CD cases (that I can't find pictures of) in green, red and orange.
I found an article about Pele, but have subsequently lost it – it was a newspaper article from the local city where Pele was established – they were so proud of their success! And yes, Pele was successful, initially – I believe they were the first to bring a matching iMac speaker to market, beating all the competition.
Fun note: in their official sales page, they call the translucent plastic "Cool See-Thru (tm)".
What I find most interesting is the "colour tax" – like the Epson 740i, they charged you more if you wanted not-blueberry. Blueberry iMacs were hugely on backorder with local stores, and plentifully made by 3rd party manufacturers because of the additional B&W / iBook market. Interesting that Grape was $5 cheaper than Strawberry and Lime! You can see which ones people liked.

As far as I’m aware, Imation only produced that model in Bondi blue and, previously, a more conventional case (I think, in beige or off-white).
I believe this is correct. I have that exact SuperDisk. I don't have any Zip disks though, I just like the appearance!

@pakra , nice job hunting down the Pele Apolla speakers. They are very rare.

I recently managed to acquire the Cozo speakers that I mentioned above– I'd wanted one in blueberry, but got Bondi Blue, and must say it's very nice. They really paid attention to detail with their ones, perfectly matching the angle of the iMac's side profile on their own, to create a sort of "mini iMac", as shown in this promotional image:
Cozo Speaker Blueberry 4.jpg

Almost could've been made by Apple!

But those renders don't really show the product, so here's mine. Mine are completely brand-new, in original packaging, unopened. I had the privilege of being the first to unbox it! You can see how they blend nicely with the B&W Studio Display, though mine are clearly Bondi blue, not blueberry.

The best part – the sound quality is absolutely fantastic!
IMG_1870.JPG
IMG_1869.JPG

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Also, I thought I'd mention one of my best sources for finding niche information about these products is ProQuest. You need a University/ Public Library account to login, but then you'll have access to thousands of editorials and newspapers, in which to scan keywords.

For instance, I used the words "speakers" and "iMac" and limited the range to 1998-1999. This enabled me to discover this, the Altec Lansing Speakers. They had a beige variant, and a translucent blue. These are in one aspect better than the Pele Apolla and Cozo speakers, because they include a subwoofer:

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 4.21.28 pm.png

Altec Lansing Speaker ACS65i 8.jpg
Altec Lansing ACS65i 1.jpg

Altec Lansing ACS65i 3.jpg

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
Also, I thought I'd mention one of my best sources for finding niche information about these products is ProQuest. You need a University/ Public Library account to login, but then you'll have access to thousands of editorials and newspapers, in which to scan keywords.

For instance, I used the words "speakers" and "iMac" and limited the range to 1998-1999. This enabled me to discover this, the Altec Lansing Speakers. They had a beige variant, and a translucent blue. These are in one aspect better than the Pele Apolla and Cozo speakers, because they include a subwoofer:

View attachment 2085998

View attachment 2085999 View attachment 2086000

View attachment 2086001
I like to watch yardsaler videos with my oldest son and one of my favs is froggy Finds on YT. He also uses ProQuest to do comps on his buys. Neat website and VERY cool AL speakers! I am using a CSB beige set from the late 90s (still sound great!) on my gaming PC. Wish I had a set of those for my Bondi ... (or is that Blueberry?). That would make such a cool retro imac setup. I'll have to keep an eye out for one :D

Reactions: mectojic

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Translucent plastics were also a common feature of another sub-genre of product: the liquid mouse / aqua mouse.
I can't find a precise origins date for this, with different companies claiming to be the first, but probably in the mid-1990s (with the decline of boring beige), someone had the genius idea of putting liquid inside a computer mouse.

What resulted was a huge wave of liquid-filled mice of all different types of colours, always with something floating inside the mouse. Early models were PS/2, mechanical ball mice with no scroll wheel, and the latest ones had bluetooth receivers, optical and high DPI. The translucence just makes sense on this type of visual style. Aqua™ was a common brand, and seems to be the template form for most other mice.
The most common usage of the liquid mouse was in company promotional giveaways. Photos below to illustrate this. Others were just sold for consumers, as a novelty item. The most popular and copied design among these seems to be the rubber ducky.
The stylistic details overlap with the Y2K aesthetic, but in later years also reflect the lesser-known "Frutiger Aero" style, with its focus on nature (i.e. water), humanist clean design, white consumer products (Wii, white Macs) and skeuomorphic textures, etc (iOS 4 glassy 'bubbles' design).

Had I not stumbled upon this liquid mice trend, I would've totally forgotten about them. They seems to have stopped being made around 2009, corresponding with the general decline of 'novelty' consumer products and company promotional products (especially in big pharma). No modern version exists, though Chinese Alibaba stores still have factories where you could make a bulk order of minimum 500 mice or so, and get them customised for your company (which no one is going to do anymore).

41b5MZaANYL._AC_.jpg
Aqua_Liquid_mouse.jpg

Aqua-Liquid-Mouse-OM-502-.jpg
FFF1ptIVQAYdTqE.jpg
tumblr_26c0d3700b3171b0f957d78bd17811d4_9eb77573_1280.jpg

Margaritaville3.jpg
customized-3d-floater-wireless-liquid-mouse.jpg
mouse02.jpg
Pat Says Now Rainbow Mouse 1.jpg

FFF30wCVQAIBi6d.jpg

Here's one I own, a PS/2, 2-button Aqua mouse with a penguin.
Penguin5.jpg

Last edited:
Had I not stumbled upon this liquid mice trend, I would've totally forgotten about them. They seems to have stopped being made around 2009, corresponding with the general decline of 'novelty' consumer products and company promotional products (especially in big pharma).

The Great Recession likely put the kibosh on the escalating free swag culture of the aughts.

No modern version exists, though Chinese Alibaba stores still have factories where you could make a bulk order of minimum 500 mice or so, and get them customised for your company (which no one is going to do anymore).

500 mice of newly-branded “MacRumors Forum Club for Old Coots, Codgers, and Maids” would be fire, I’ll tell ya what.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Edit: added a few more pre-iMac products to the original Wiki. Here are some photos:

◊ 1995 Tokyo Telemessage Phoenix pager (Japan)
Tokyo Telemessage PHOENIX from 1995 1.jpg

◊ Nintendo Super Game Boy 2 (January 30, 1998, Japan-exclusive). The funny thing about this one is that it only emulates original Game Boy games – and all original Gameboy game carts are beige, while all Gameboy Color game carts, which aren't supported, are translucent!

Nintendo Super Game Boy 2 Jan 30 1998 2.jpg

◊ Skeleton Sega Saturn (launched 1998-04-04) – some marketing photos made it look purple, but it’s more of a frosted grey. (Japan-exclusive)

Sega Saturn clear 1998 6.jpg
Sega Saturn clear 1998 5.jpg

And lastly, I stumbled upon this completely unexplained product that pushes back my work 10 years: the game cartridge for the Japan-exclusive version of "Salamander", released in 1987 for the Nintendo Famicom. This was the only game released in a clear shell for the Famicom, and I have no idea why, except that it looks sweet as!

Nintendo Famicom Salamander 1987 6.jpg
Nintendo Famicom Salamander 1987 7.jpg

Nintendo Famicom Salamander 1987 2.jpg

It's interesting that this blue-green colour was repeated so often, and is not far-off from Apple's eMate and iMac 10 years later. The colour of the Salamander cart would look very unusual against the white colour of the Famicom, and of practically all other tech of the time.

Last edited:

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
Unlike with the NES, 3rd party publishers for the Famicom were allowed to make their own cartridges so there's a lot of weird unusual colors. Most aren't clear, but there's lots of pastel so I don't think it would have clashed too much!

There was also a smoke translucent PS1 controller, non-dualshock. Can't find the release date but the DualShock released 1997 and I'm not entirely sure when the original was phased out.
s-l400.jpg

EDIT: There was also an Atomic Purple/Clear Purple N64 controller I'm pretty sure was released in 1997. Not part of the "Funtastic" line.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
There was also a smoke translucent PS1 controller, non-dualshock. Can't find the release date but the DualShock released 1997 and I'm not entirely sure when the original was phased out.
You beat me to it! Yes, I had been discovering those recently, and the translucent PS1 memory cards. I couldn't put an exact date on them either, but as a Japanese company, I wouldn't be surprised if they were ahead of Apple.

EDIT: There was also an Atomic Purple/Clear Purple N64 controller I'm pretty sure was released in 1997. Not part of the "Funtastic" line.
Interesting. Didn't know that. That may explain why I saw some clear purple N64 boxes that didn't say "atomic purple". That marketing term was employed later with the GBC.

It seems that the clear purple and atomic are the exact same colour, just rebranded – they certainly are identical between my clear purple Gameboy Pocket and my atomic GBC.

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
Clear Purple is the name Nintendo of Japan used for what was called Atomic Purple in North America. Including the GBC. Perhaps other regions too.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Let's talk about prototypes!
Apple received a lot of criticism for their undersized iMac G3 keyboard and the puck mouse. According to Ken Segall's book "Insanely Simple", in 1999 he confronted Steve about all the negative press regarding the mouse, and Steve privately admitted that they were already working on something new.

Completing that story are some rare prototypes of the M7803 Pro Keyboard. As we know, the M7803 was released in one colour, a clear acrylic with graphite logo, alongside the Summer 2000 Mac lineup. But there is evidence that may have been plans to release the keyboard earlier, in the original fruit colours.

Here is a Japanese prototype Lime M7803, dated to June 2000, its date confirmed by the serial number too (and a month before the July 2000 event):
M7803 Lime 3.jpg
M7803 Lime 2.png
M7803 Lime 1.png

Beautiful? Not sure. But interesting, definitely. This photo was grabbed from an old 2016 eBay listing; apparently the seller was also selling a prototype Pro Mouse M5769 – for reference, that mouse was apparently just clear, no colour. So we don't have a confirmed example of the M5769 being made in colours. But I do wonder, how would it be coloured? Would they make the shell colourful, or perhaps, even cooler, the internal part?
When I followed the story of this keyboards, I actually stumbled upon a now-deleted Macrumors collectors thread from 2016. The buyer of this exact keyboard was a user here called PowerMac G4 MDD – anyone remember this person? On the archived thread, they posted a video of the keyboard (username maccollectorZ), but sadly the video is now listed as private.

Here's another translucent prototype M7803, an earlier blueberry DVT from March 2000 (also sold on Ebay years back):

M7803 Blueberry 1.jpg
M7803 Blueberry 2.jpg

M7803 Blueberry 3.jpg

I don't know much about prototyping, but I assume that all new designs must go through a DVT, to confirm that they can be made on a production line? From the photos, you get the impression that they were seriously testing whether these colours could be produced en masse. Perhaps, they used the then-current fruit colours for their DUT prototypes, to hide the secret of their upcoming new design language and "jewel" iMacs. I do sense a bit of aesthetic clash between the pure-blue apple logo and back frame, and the newer design-language sticker label.

Last edited:

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
Let's talk about prototypes!
Apple received a lot of criticism for their undersized iMac G3 keyboard and the puck mouse. According to Ken Segall's book "Insanely Simple", in 1999 he confronted Steve about all the negative press regarding the mouse, and Steve privately admitted that they were already working on something new.

Completing that story are some rare prototypes of the M7803 Pro Keyboard. As we know, the M7803 was released in one colour, a clear acrylic with graphite logo, alongside the Summer 2000 Mac lineup. But there is evidence that may have been plans to release the keyboard earlier, in the original fruit colours.

Here is a Japanese prototype Lime M7803, dated to June 2000, its date confirmed by the serial number too (and a month before the July 2000 event):
View attachment 2140105 View attachment 2140106 View attachment 2140107

Beautiful? Not sure. But interesting, definitely. This photo was grabbed from an old 2016 eBay listing; apparently the seller was also selling a prototype Pro Mouse M5769 – for reference, that mouse was apparently just clear, no colour. So we don't have a confirmed example of the M5769 being made in colours. But I do wonder, how would it be coloured? Would they make the shell colourful, or perhaps, even cooler, the internal part?
When I followed the story of this keyboards, I actually stumbled upon a now-deleted Macrumors collectors thread from 2016. The buyer of this exact keyboard was a user here called PowerMac G4 MDD – anyone remember this person? On the archived thread, they posted a video of the keyboard (username maccollectorZ), but sadly the video is now listed as private.

Here's another translucent prototype M7803, an earlier blueberry DVT from March 2000 (also sold on Ebay years back):

View attachment 2140109 View attachment 2140110

View attachment 2140114

I don't know much about prototyping, but I assume that all new designs must go through a DVT, to confirm that they can be made on a production line? From the photos, you get the impression that they were seriously testing whether these colours could be produced en masse. Perhaps, they used the then-current fruit colours for their DUT prototypes, to hide the secret of their upcoming new design language and "jewel" iMacs. I do sense a bit of aesthetic clash between the pure-blue apple logo and back frame, and the newer design-language sticker label.

Might have also just been a desire to draw down the number of SKUs, too. Adding colors to the peripherals is no little project, especially for Apple of 20 years ago.

Cool prototypes, though, thanks for digging up the pics.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
If it wasn't crazy enough to think that a computer caused a design revolution, I was amazed to see that Honda even took the translucent plastics craze a step further with a range of limited motorcycles.

Here is the Honda Julio AF52, made in a limited run of just 3,000. She's a beauty:
Honda Julio AF52 1 copy.jpg
Honda Julio AF52 3 copy.jpg

The Julio series was first announced on July 17, 1998 as a series of fashion scooters; it had a retro design style targeted at young people, and came in a few colour choices, including limited editions.
The ones in the photo were apparently released in March 2000, in Blueberry and Tangerine colours. This makes sense, as those were the two colours of iBook Clamshell at time of product development – and the idea of portability is a nice synergy between the two devices. I wonder if anyone actually bought one of these because of their new iBook?
Here's some in the wild:
Honda Julio AF52 4.jpg
Honda Julio AF52 2.png

Honda also made the Live DIO ZX Skeleton limited edition, which seems to correspond to Indigo and Ruby. Probably released in 2001?

Honda Live DIO ZX Skeleton 2 copy.jpg
Honda Live DIO ZX Skeleton 1 copy.jpg

If it wasn't crazy enough to think that a computer caused a design revolution, I was amazed to see that Honda even took the translucent plastics craze a step further with a range of limited motorcycles.

Here is the Honda Julio AF52, made in a limited run of just 3,000. She's a beauty:
View attachment 2144927 View attachment 2144928

The Julio series was first announced on July 17, 1998 as a series of fashion scooters; it had a retro design style targeted at young people, and came in a few colour choices, including limited editions.
The ones in the photo were apparently released in March 2000, in Blueberry and Tangerine colours. This makes sense, as those were the two colours of iBook Clamshell at time of product development – and the idea of portability is a nice synergy between the two devices. I wonder if anyone actually bought one of these because of their new iBook?
Here's some in the wild:
View attachment 2144943 View attachment 2144945

Honda also made the Live DIO ZX Skeleton limited edition, which seems to correspond to Indigo and Ruby. Probably released in 2001?

View attachment 2144942 View attachment 2144941

The pics for the Julios clearly show they were probably sold in markets like Thailand and possibly Malaysia and Indonesia.

I definitely did not see any of these iBook-influenced Julios pottering about in Thailand during my visit there in ’04, but I do remember going through security on my flight with my indigo iBook, and the woman screening me being completely impressed and mesmerized by the design and colour. She kept asking me if it was a current product and asked where she could buy one.

The part which mesmerized her was when she learnt it was a four-year-old laptop based on a five-year-old design, and that it had been three years since Apple abandoned the form factor in favour for buttoned-down convention. What this also revealed — to me, at least — was Apple had a lot more market left to reach with the clamshell iBook design beyond their navel-gazing markets of, principally, the U.S. and Europe (where pushback against the “feminine” design of the clamshell — “a compact!” “a toilet seat!” “a Barbie accessory!” — was what seemed to kill it off before its time and, as I’ve noted in the past on this forum, before all the logic board features, such as the unused bank of pads for four more board DIMM modules, could be brought into service on additional revisions).

[Heck naw I won’t ever hush about all the grousing which came from so many men — especially from men taking up a lot of space and bandwidth in tech — who hated hated hated the clamshell iBook and who undoubtedly affected its marketed longevity for the aforementioned navel-gazing markets, without considering all the unrealized markets where it would have done very well, especially at a reduced price point. Fite me, bros.]

Last edited:

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
where pushback against the “feminine” design of the clamshell — “a compact!” “a toilet seat!” “a Barbie accessory!” — was what seemed to kill it off before its time
Shame on our culture for that. The iBook was the one great, innovative laptop of all time. I have a soft spot for the Compaq Presario 1400 too, but only because it was trying to follow the iBook's evolution path.

Apple is the one company that didn't make cold, hard business decisions, which allowed for the risk-taking that gave us the iMac and iBook in the first place. Too bad they've become shy again, because no other company has the dedication to design.

Apple is the one company that didn't make cold, hard business decisions, which allowed for the risk-taking that gave us the iMac and iBook in the first place. Too bad they've become shy again, because no other company has the dedication to design.

Well… to a point.

The Apple of 2012 onward — maybe even as far back as 2010 — became the Apple of making cold, hard business decisions which changed how Apple’s products (and services) were engineered. They were no longer an underdog, and they made the pivot toward behaving as a top dog. Yah, there’ve been new products, but all of them have been evolutionary, steady, and incremental — in short, fairly predictable with very little risk-taking. Being top dog — or among the top dogs — means playing it safe enough to keep risk-averse shareholders happy, quarter in and quarter out.

Even the trash can Mac Pro, whilst visually distinctive, borrowed from core ideas in the MacBook Air and rMBP — in which interchangeability was deprecated in favour of integrated and proprietary components.

Separately, Ive got tired and/or ran out of Dieter Rams’ original designs from which he could crib and re-fashion as his own. Ive, as with others before him (Frog Design comes to mind), had their moment in fundamentally changing the way Apple’s hardware presented itself to consumers. Ive’s moment was longer than most — 1997 to maybe 2008 — with the introduction of laser-cut unibody case design and construction being probably his last major, novel contribution. Ive’s had no bona fide successor (no, not even tired, post-2008 Ive).

And that’s Apple now, more insular than they’re ever been, for worse or better.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Puck mouse accessories!
As far as I've managed to establish, there were three main companies that made translucent plastics to "fix" the shape of the Apple puck mouse.

Macally made the ipocket, here's what it looks like:
Macally iPocket 1 copy.jpg
Macally iPocket 4.jpg

An early 'Bondi blue' model can be seen here at the Macworld San Francisco Expo, Jan 1999. Production was probably cut immediately, since that was the same expo where the 5-fruit iMacs were announced, and Bondi Blue went extinct:
Macally iPocket proto San Fran 1999.jpg

Then we have the Macsense iCatch.
Macsense iCatch.jpg

Macsense made the iCatch in all 5 of the fruit colours, Bondi and Graphite, as well as a clear model. Judging by what I've found online, the clear model was the best seller. Also, Macsense removed their logo at some point during the production run, which made it look less cheap. Here are the two I own, the one on the left is presumably the original with the logo. The right one has the company website instead, which presumably is much more effective advertising for the internet-equipped iMac than a logo. "Hey - you've got internet access – how 'bout you type in our website?"
Macsense iCatch models.jpg

I don't mind using the puck mouse alone, but I must say the iCatch is a very comfortable addition. It's a little wider than most mice, but feels very solid. The plastics are thick and wouldn't break without force.

Lastly we have the Contour Unitrap, probably the ugliest iteration. It's also the most invasive, because it requires you to remove the two side plastics of the puck mouse to connect it, and the end result basically smothers the original puck design in its own ugliness, rather than honouring it. I suppose that's why it's called Unitrap.
Contour Unitrap 0.jpg
Contour Unitrap 3.jpg
Contour Unitrap 1.jpg

Of course, some of these companies made their own USB mice, which were conventionally ergonomic and sold well. The main purpose of these puck accessories were to hit that lowest price point, between $10-20; by the $25-30 point, you might as well just buy one of their mice. Perhaps it also appealed to thrifty buyers, who didn't want another mouse when they already got a free one with their brand new Mac.

Puck mouse accessories!
As far as I've managed to establish, there were three main companies that made translucent plastics to "fix" the shape of the Apple puck mouse.

Macally made the ipocket, here's what it looks like:
View attachment 2161403 View attachment 2161404

An early 'Bondi blue' model can be seen here at the Macworld San Francisco Expo, Jan 1999. Production was probably cut immediately, since that was the same expo where the 5-fruit iMacs were announced, and Bondi Blue went extinct:
View attachment 2161400

Then we have the Macsense iCatch.
View attachment 2161435
Macsense made the iCatch in all 5 of the fruit colours, Bondi and Graphite, as well as a clear model. Judging by what I've found online, the clear model was the best seller. Also, Macsense removed their logo at some point during the production run, which made it look less cheap. Here are the two I own, the one on the left is presumably the original with the logo. The right one has the company website instead, which presumably is much more effective advertising for the internet-equipped iMac than a logo. "Hey - you've got internet access – how 'bout you type in our website?"
View attachment 2161423
I don't mind using the puck mouse alone, but I must say the iCatch is a very comfortable addition. It's a little wider than most mice, but feels very solid. The plastics are thick and wouldn't break without force.

Lastly we have the Contour Unitrap, probably the ugliest iteration. It's also the most invasive, because it requires you to remove the two side plastics of the puck mouse to connect it, and the end result basically smothers the original puck design in its own ugliness, rather than honouring it. I suppose that's why it's called Unitrap.
View attachment 2161426 View attachment 2161428 View attachment 2161430

Of course, some of these companies made their own USB mice, which were conventionally ergonomic and sold well. The main purpose of these puck accessories were to hit that lowest price point, between $10-20; by the $25-30 point, you might as well just buy one of their mice. Perhaps it also appealed to thrifty buyers, who didn't want another mouse when they already got a free one with their brand new Mac.

Though they’ve, fortunately, updated their brand mark, the Macally brand mark from this era was how I was introduced to them. Unfortunately, their brand mark’s then-contemporary styling led me to refer to them as M. Acally, and sometimes verbally as “Mack Alley”.

I think I used one of their hockey puck add-ons at an assignment where I was filling in for someone on mat leave. I promptly removed it and stuck a post-it on the Macally carapace to remind myself to re-affix it to the mouse once I was done working at that cubicle, so as not to upset someone I hadn’t even met.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
There are many transparent bricks now from LEGO and other manufacturers.

Just one example:
LEGO Disney Princess 41168 - Elsa's Creative Box
Awqu9rI.jpg

There are many transparent bricks now from LEGO and other manufacturers.

Just one example:
LEGO Disney Princess 41168 - Elsa's Creative Box
Awqu9rI.jpg

Indeed! But Legoland sets were pulling in translucent and transparent looks going all the way back to the ’50s. By the early ’80s, they began to run with the translucent/transparent blue, green, gold, and red pieces, which really opened up the imagination to newer possibilities:

6929-1.jpg

497-1.jpg

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Indeed! But Legoland sets were pulling in translucent and transparent looks going all the way back to the ’50s. By the early ’80s, they began to run with the translucent/transparent blue, green, gold, and red pieces, which really opened up the imagination to newer possibilities...
True. I already mentioned that last year: :) ;)

Thanks for posting these images,

I've got very nostalgic feeling for these. :D I did have only a small space set, but I (still) do have the 918 small Space Ship.

The later space themes had even more interesting coloful transparent elements, like Space Police series, Blacktron series, Ice Planet etc.)

S2rVfJ3.jpg

Reactions: B S Magnet
True. I already mentioned that last year: :) ;)

Thanks for posting these images,

I've got very nostalgic feeling for these. :D I did have only a small space set, but I (still) do have the 918 small Space Ship.

The later space themes had even more interesting coloful transparent elements, like Space Police series, Blacktron series, Ice Planet etc.)

S2rVfJ3.jpg

I completely forgot about your older post and even noticed I’d liked it at the time. My brain is a sieve!

I went through a period in my pre-tweens and into my tweens when I was singularly fixated on Lego stuff. Story time…

Someone in my family, at some point when I was 7 or 8, gave me my first Lego set as a gift, and it was from the Technic series. After I built it (at an age even younger than the suggestion on the box), other family members I guess saw how proud I was of doing that (even though, age 8, I was following the instructions carefully and not putting it all together by sight alone). So they began to give me more Lego sets, except from the Legoland space series (because I was growing up right next to, well, NASA and knew I was fascinated by that omnipresence in my everyday life).

That‘s how I came to know the Legoland space series. A neighbour-friend down the block was also very much into Lego stuff (and we definitely, for a time, got to be better friends because of this common interest), but he was overall more motivated by some of the other Legoland series of the time — namely, the medieval-themed series. He also had an ugly penchant for mocking a lot of what I made as lesser, simpler, whatever (we didn’t stay friends).

Also, he had, in aggregate, probably 3x the number of bricks across all his sets than I did, so he was often building things of scale I couldn’t match (though, being 8 or 9, I wasn’t much an innovator so much as a mimic, as I’d try to copy what other people, including him, made). To him, it was a size thing, I guess. To me, it was a way to get lost in the possibilities, even if only a handful of things I put together were uniquely my own thing.

Eventually, I had collected together — between family gifts and babysitting/car-washing/lawn-mowing money — a few more of the Legoland space series. I remember the first time I saw the blue astronaut (as up to that moment, all the astronaut pieces had been red, white, or yellow), and was insistent on finding a set featuring a blue astronaut (one eventually turned up in a set I could afford with my own money). Blue was one of my favourite hues.

By the time I was 10 or 11, I’d sort of reached the apex of Legoland stuff, and I had enough of the space series to put together a tiny moonbase — tiny by the standards of having one of everything from that series (which I didn’t), but enough that it meant building together the connected lunar plates atop a fibreboard sheet (like the material with the holes drilled out, from which one could hang retail items in a store, except mine didn’t have the holes and wasn’t painted or coated) which I could slide under the bed when I wasn’t using it. One of the sets with the clear-blue windscreen/canopy feature arrived warped, so I sent in the piece to the Lego office in North America (Connecticut, I think?), which sent me a replacement several months later.

What I think burnt me out was, ironically, the Lego office’s response after I sent them a thank-you letter for helping me out, along with a mini-Instamatic (110) print I shot of the whole set I’d put together from all the space series sets I had (along with ones I created from imagination from that original Technic set’s pieces). The pic wasn’t spectacular (unless one owned a 110 SLR, most 110 photos weren’t great, though still better than Kodak Disc camera pics), but it was meant for them to keep, file away, trash, whatever. Besides, the local lab printed two of each pic in a roll, so I already had one for myself.

I thought the thank-you letter would be the end of it, but they sent back the picture with some sort of direct-marketing printed sheet of paper! It sort of hurt my feelings — not because it was probably one of the thousands of generic/amateur pictures which other kids probably sent them each year, but because it felt like they rejected my appreciation of them helping out with that warped piece.

After that, I sort of took apart everything, boxed it up, and moved onto other interests to preoccupy my brain. Somewhere in my archives, I think I still have that returned photo, which I remembered the corner had a scissored sliver cut from whenever they handled it.

The end.

Last edited:
Reactions: opeter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.