Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skald

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
California
I just bought a new 2015 27" iMac. I have barely used it, only gone online two or three times, and I have only transferred a dozen files from my old Macbook Pro.

Nevertheless, when I went to Foxfire preferences, I found scores of cookies. I just now deleted exactly 100 cookies that I do not recognize from my usual sites. Many were obviously cookies that invade my privacy (Doubleclick, Taboola). I have not yet eliminated all of these, but I will.

I was shocked -- how long has this been going on? Anyone else noticed this?

My advice to new Mac buyers, obviously, is to clear out cookies before going online the first time -- and right after your first online connection, since Apple might downloads this at that time.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
While I haven't used Firefox for years, my guess is that this is a function of their syncing system, so you would see a similar situation on a Windows or even a Linux device.

Assuming that you are logging into a Firefox profile, it is presumably copying all of your cookies, bookmarks, history, etc. so all devices are in sync. Browsers have been doing this for years.

My recommendation for you is to carefully review the Terms of Use for each of the applications you use and be very cautious about what you allow.

Good luck.

Skald

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
California
Thank you, Bart Kela. Syncing should not be the problem, as I am rigorous about keeping cookies off of the only other computer I use. I am less scrupulous about reading TOS, and appreciate your reminder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.