Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I heard that I can pre-order the iPhone Friday without a trade in, do an in-store pickup, and I can then trade in my existing iPhone then and have a credit to my card for that value so I don't have to mail it in and wait. Is this true?

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
I heard that I can pre-order the iPhone Friday without a trade in, do an in-store pickup, and I can then trade in my existing iPhone then and have a credit to my card for that value so I don't have to mail it in and wait. Is this true?
Yes this can be done and I always go with this route. Order first without trade in, then take it to the store for trade in. I have them put it on my debit card so i have it my bank instead of a gift card.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Yes this can be done and I always go with this route. Order first without trade in, then take it to the store for trade in. I have them put it on my debit card so i have it my bank instead of a gift card.
Thanks, do you not get charged until you complete the pickup process?

Rockoo

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2021
Yup always trade in person that way you don't risky anything happening in shipping or getting a lower value. When you go to preorder on friday on the checkout screen you will be able to select the option for in store trade in or shipping.

Reactions: playaproved

Jay3197

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
So if you pay with a credit card, and proceed with this trade in at the store, they will issue you a gift card for the trade in value instead of just refunding you the difference on the card you used for the purchase ?

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
So if you pay with a credit card, and proceed with this trade in at the store, they will issue you a gift card for the trade in value instead of just refunding you the difference on the card you used for the purchase ?
You can choose to have it on the gift card. You can also have the option to have the trade in value back into the card you used to make the purchase or you can give them or any card. I always go with debit card option.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
The mail in iPhone program is a straight up scam! They predictably target 10-15% of trade in phones and offer way less for fictitious damages. Once it happened to me, I just go to the Apple Store and do my trade-in there.

I select trade in during pre-order but still take my old device into an Apple Store. If you have the order number, they will process the trade-in on the spot. Easy-Peasy!

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I always trade in at the store. I personally feel the risk of the new iPhone being "lost" in the mail is lower compared to being delivered at my house and someone in person inspects the iPhone I am trading and so I don't have to worry with what others have commented above.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
I had no idea you can trade it in at the Apple Store.

I always thought you had to ship it.

on a side note, is my 4 year old iPhone 11 even worth trading? I say its in great condition

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
I had no idea you can trade it in at the Apple Store.

I always thought you had to ship it.

on a side note, is my 4 year old iPhone 11 even worth trading? I say its in great condition
I pick up new device. Set up in store. Once done. I give my previous device back. Been doing this for the last 5 years. That's why during pre order I select pick up Friday/Saturday evening. I sit down. Interact with others. Its a great time. Then I walk across to the cheesecake factory. Go to the bar and have 1-2 drinks (old fashioned with makers) to be precise.

Mukar

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2023
So let me get this straight: When pre-ordering on Friday morning, will there be an option to trade in our phone at the store, or will we have to select "No Trade-in" and then amend that during in-store pickup?

Also has anyone used paypal for this process? I generally like to use pay-in-4 so I don't get my wallet blown out all at once but sometimes I guess it is unavoidable.

AppleLuvver

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
U.S.
So let me get this straight: When pre-ordering on Friday morning, will there be an option to trade in our phone at the store, or will we have to select "No Trade-in" and then amend that during in-store pickup?

Also has anyone used paypal for this process? I generally like to use pay-in-4 so I don't get my wallet blown out all at once but sometimes I guess it is unavoidable.
I always select no trade in. I have heard if u select trade in it’s harder to trade in in-store for some reason. Your card will be charged. Then you go into the store, has to be within 2 weeks of purchase, and u can trade in ur old device and choose to have the amount put back on the card u used for purchase (or get a gift card). I have never used PayPal as I use Apple Card to get cash back. I have done this several times now with phone and Mac purchases.

Reactions: geoff5093

dstew201

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2016
I pick up new device. Set up in store. Once done. I give my previous device back. Been doing this for the last 5 years. That's why during pre order I select pick up Friday/Saturday evening. I sit down. Interact with others. Its a great time. Then I walk across to the cheesecake factory. Go to the bar and have 1-2 drinks (old fashioned with makers) to be precise.
I like your style!
Except for bourbon choice!!

MUST be made with Bulleit!! 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: sjperformance

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
Okay, just to clarify... I can pre-order an iPhone 15 Pro Max and pay for it on one credit card. Then I can take my iPhone 13 Pro Max to an Apple store to trade in and they will put the trade in value on a different credit card besides the card I used for my pre-ordered phone?

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
At the risk of me sounding stupid can someone please clarify: do I need to bring the old phone being traded on the same day I’m picking up the 15? Or can it be done, say a few days after?

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
Okay, just to clarify... I can pre-order an iPhone 15 Pro Max and pay for it on one credit card. Then I can take my iPhone 13 Pro Max to an Apple store to trade in and they will put the trade in value on a different credit card besides the card I used for my pre-ordered phone?
Might depend on who you get. But it can be done as they don’t care what card you purchased it with. I had no issues with them putting the value on my debit card when i used a credit card.

Also if you purchase it with apple card, you would want the trade in and have it go on your apple cash instead because if you to it the apple card they see it as a partial refund. Then you get the adjusted cash back charged back on your card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.