Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

js.24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
Bristol, United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post on here but a long time iPhone/Apple customer! I'm not someone who upgrades my iPhones yearly - I'm still rocking an iPhone 6, which has served me well the last few years!

I live in the UK, but coincidentally I'm off on holiday to the US for a couple of weeks (visiting NYC, Washington DC and Orlando) on the 27th September, and was hoping I can pick up a new sim free XS whilst I'm over there as it works out cheaper than the UK pricing (even with sales tax and UK customs taken into account!)

I've never actually pre-ordered any of my iPhones - I usually go to the stores once the gold rush is over and pick one up. But because I'll be in the US a week after launch I'm wondering if it's possible to pre-order a new XS for store pickup and select the date I want for pickup.

Realise this is an unusual question - I mean who wouldn't want it on day one if you're pre-ordering! But not having been through the process, I'm not sure if it's possible or not. From what I've read, if I don't pre-order, the time I'll be in the US will be during the 2-3 week period where there won't be any in store availability.

Another question - from what I can see the US XS will support both CDMA AND GSM without any model variation - so I'm assuming that means if I do manage to grab one whilst I'm in the US it will be work fine in the UK (no question here - just hoping someone corrects me if I'm wrong!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.