Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
So I just left the Apple Store after finishing my AVP Demo session. I quickly saw it as an awesome consumption device. I question for me if it's the perfect device to add to my work environment. I asked several questions of the 2 Apple employees after the demo and they really couldn't talk business use of the device and I certainly understand. I thought I would ask a few of those questions here.

My current work environment consists of iPhone 15pm, M3 14MBP an external display, Magic Keyboard and a Magic Trackpad. HomePod mini for speaker phone calls and AirPod Pros for more confidential calls.

1. I spend 2-3 hours daily on the phone. These short calls varying 5-15 minutes each. Am I able to answer my phone calls in the Vision environment? Do I have to pull the AVP off to answer on the iPhone or can they be answered and started on the AVP?

2. Is there a limit to Safari windows? Does Safari support multiple tabs? I normally have 12-15 tabs in 3 Windows in Safari on my MBP. I have a Work Safari Window, a Volunteer Safari Window and a Personal Window open to organize what I use.

3. When connected to my MBP will CMD+tab work toggle my MPB apps and my VP apps or only my MBP apps?

4. I assume eye tracking does not work on the MBP virtual screen to select my open apps am I correct?

Thanks for any info. There is no doubt the AVP is an awesome device. If I can't make it work for me as efficiently as I can today with a MBP then its not a good choice for me.

I do understand I can just buy and try but if it can't do my basic's then it's not for me today. I am not ready to invest in finding ways to try to make it work only to find 13 days later and hours spent to return it. I have ridden every Apple Wave but they say it a work device and I primarily see consumption video's.

TIA

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC
So I just left the Apple Store after finishing my AVP Demo session. I quickly saw it as an awesome consumption device. I question for me if it's the perfect device to add to my work environment. I asked several questions of the 2 Apple employees after the demo and they really couldn't talk business use of the device and I certainly understand. I thought I would ask a few of those questions here.

My current work environment consists of iPhone 15pm, M3 14MBP an external display, Magic Keyboard and a Magic Trackpad. HomePod mini for speaker phone calls and AirPod Pros for more confidential calls.

1. I spend 2-3 hours daily on the phone. These short calls varying 5-15 minutes each. Am I able to answer my phone calls in the Vision environment? Do I have to pull the AVP off to answer on the iPhone or can they be answered and started on the AVP?

2. Is there a limit to Safari windows? Does Safari support multiple tabs? I normally have 12-15 tabs in 3 Windows in Safari on my MBP. I have a Work Safari Window, a Volunteer Safari Window and a Personal Window open to organize what I use.

3. When connected to my MBP will CMD+tab work toggle my MPB apps and my VP apps or only my MBP apps?

4. I assume eye tracking does not work on the MBP virtual screen to select my open apps am I correct?

Thanks for any info. There is no doubt the AVP is an awesome device. If I can't make it work for me as efficiently as I can today with a MBP then its not a good choice for me.

I do understand I can just buy and try but if it can't do my basic's then it's not for me today. I am not ready to invest in finding ways to try to make it work only to find 13 days later and hours spent to return it. I have ridden every Apple Wave but they say it a work device and I primarily see consumption video's.

TIA
1. I actually haven't gotten a phone call with the headset on, so can't answer this directly, but I can see my 15pm clearly with the headset on - definitely clear enough to pick up a call and answer with speaker phone/AirPods/HomePod. There is no phone or FaceTime app, so my guess is you can't answer calls with the AVP. You definitely can't start calls with AVP.

2. Safari does support multiple tabs. You can have multiple windows. 12 to 15 tabs per window may be unwieldy though - I can try to do a screen shot later this afternoon if that is helpful

3. CMD tab doesn't work for Vision Pro apps - literally doesn't do anything if you hit it. HOWEVER, it will work as expected in the virtual Mac if you are "in" that window. I.e. it will cycle through the apps in the Mac.

4. Correct.

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
Why didn't you ask these questions in the store. I'm sure someone will answer them but as you can see AVP is a unique individual experience whether or not, you can do the things you asked. Will be answered shortly I'm sure.
Like I said above I did ask. They could not answer. As a result I came here to ask.

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
1. I actually haven't gotten a phone call with the headset on, so can't answer this directly, but I can see my 15pm clearly with the headset on - definitely clear enough to pick up a call and answer with speaker phone/AirPods/HomePod. There is no phone or FaceTime app, so my guess is you can't answer calls with the AVP. You definitely can't start calls with AVP.

2. Safari does support multiple tabs. You can have multiple windows. 12 to 15 tabs per window may be unwieldy though - I can try to do a screen shot later this afternoon if that is helpful

3. CMD tab doesn't work for Vision Pro apps - literally doesn't do anything if you hit it. HOWEVER, it will work as expected in the virtual Mac if you are "in" that window. I.e. it will cycle through the apps in the Mac.

4. Correct.
Thank you very much. I appreciate your response. I was hoping Continuity would kick in and you can answer and call using a non video call. Still hoping someone will have more info on the phone calls aspect.

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC
Thank you very much. I appreciate your response. I was hoping Continuity would kick in and you can answer and call using a non video call. Still hoping someone will have more info on the phone calls aspect.

No problem. Screenshot attached
IMG_0011.png

Reactions: G5isAlive

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
The Demo at the Apple Store is more focused on the immersive video aspect side. If I were planning a personal home theater setup I would have walked out with it. I am not giving up hope.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green

I think this page from the AVP User GUide has some details:

Reactions: G5isAlive

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
The only calls you can make or take on the AVP right now are FaceTime calls. Regular calls don’t work.

I would assume that this feature will come eventually, but am surprised it wasn’t delivered right from the beginning as every other Apple device I have rings when my iPhone rings and can take the calls.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.