Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomkins!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
I have two Preboot (Preboot and Preboot 1) folders in /Volumes. They are the same size. Quick googling indicated that they are APFS related.

My question is: what purpose do they serve and is it safe to delete them?

Reactions: !!!

phenoplastic

macrumors member
May 30, 2010
also just noticed this. They're annoyingly showing up in a disk space utility I use. Too nervous to delete them, and can't find any info other than this thread.

Reactions: Lvivske and !!!

Tomkins!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
also just noticed this. They're annoyingly showing up in a disk space utility I use. Too nervous to delete them, and can't find any info other than this thread.

I moved them to another location, rebooted... and everything was fine. Your mileage may vary.
The first one appeared after I had installed the High Sierra GM, the second one after I upgraded my machine to the release version.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
What it is, from shirtpocket:
In addition to the startup volume, and any volumes that you create yourself, a container that hosts bootable volumes also contains three hidden volumes with special "roles". One, called Preboot, contains all the information required to start the boot process. Another called Recovery, is the recovery volume. The third, VM, is where swap files are stored.

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/blog/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.