Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
I use two keyboard languages, English and Spanish (plus the Emoji one), which I constantly change when I type using the globe icon in the bottom left corner.

On iOS 9, the predictions that appear on top of the keyboard responded only to the language I was typing in. However, in iOS 12, I often see among the predicted words a mix of words both in Spanish and English, regardless of the language I'm currently using.

Is this a bug or a "feature" I can turn off? Is anyone else who uses two or more languages to type seeing this annoying behavior?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I use two keyboard languages, English and Spanish (plus the Emoji one), which I constantly change when I type using the globe icon in the bottom left corner.

On iOS 9, the predictions that appear on top of the keyboard responded only to the language I was typing in. However, in iOS 12, I often see among the predicted words a mix of words both in Spanish and English, regardless of the language I'm currently using.

Is this a bug or a "feature" I can turn off? Is anyone else who uses two or more languages to type seeing this annoying behavior?
I believe this was done as of iOS 11 if not 10 to facilitate things for those who use multiple languages in a mixed way essentially. That said, I don't quite recall all the details about that at the moment.

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
I'm seeing this, although the non-primary language suggestions only seem to occur once the primary language suggestions have been exhausted. ymmv, of course.

There does seem to be a recent problem at Apple with whoever is making the decisions about language and grammar. They don't appear to understand the domain at all. For example, the current spell-checker on macOS mojave conflates spelling and grammar, which makes it unusable for someone who spends most of their time writing. Spelling is not grammar, as every schoolchild knows.

Reactions: iRock1

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
I'm seeing this, although the non-primary language suggestions only seem to occur once the primary language suggestions have been exhausted. ymmv, of course.

There does seem to be a recent problem at Apple with whoever is making the decisions about language and grammar. They don't appear to understand the domain at all. For example, the current spell-checker on macOS mojave conflates spelling and grammar, which makes it unusable for someone who spends most of their time writing. Spelling is not grammar, as every schoolchild knows.

What I don’t understand is if these are bugs or supposed to be a “feature”.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.