Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
The i$h!t. Tracks you BM's.

----------

iEye.
Retinal scanner.
Takes verbal commands.
Aye aye.

Last edited:

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I expect it will be the iWatch. I like the iPod revival idea, but I think Apple wants to push this as an entirely new category and not an extension of the iPod line. Being associated with the iPod, even if only by name, would undermine that.

Also, it's just an ugly looking word to say or to look at, in my opinion. Compared to something like iBand (just a made up word), which is more pleasing, just like iPad and iPhone. Im interested to see what they call it. iWatch does have a ton of equity that the media created already.

I agree what iWatch is an ugly name, but I think iBand is just as ugly.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
People are really agreeing on it being iWatch as seen by the thread as well but remember when iPad was about to launch and the rumour mill was spinning like crazy and how nobody even thought about the name iPad and pretty much agreed on calling it iSlate?

I would like to think it being something else and I like the name "More" or maybe iMore as someone suggested earlier. iPal also could be the one. We just have to wait and see... September 9th couldn't come slower...

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
As I've speculated before, I still think "iPal" is a worthwhile contender. It's short, catchy, in the same vein as their other iOS devices, and to the point, as it complements a device like the iPhone, and it goes where you go, like a constant companion.

Yeah, I like that. Friendly, helpful connotations. Easy to pronounce. Fits well into sentences " where's my iPal?"

Norbury

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I've been against the name iWatch ever since I seen it. I can't see Apple selling it as just a watch, but then again, the iPhone is so much more than a phone.

Also, it's just an ugly looking word to say or to look at, in my opinion. Compared to something like iBand (just a made up word), which is more pleasing, just like iPad and iPhone. Im interested to see what they call it. iWatch does have a ton of equity that the media created already.

The solution is to call it the iPatch. There will also be a band that lets you wear it across your face, and when you do so and a call comes in it will say "Arrr!"

jayb83

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2014
UK
I'm backing iLife

The iLife package was broken up a good while back, freeing up this name (just like Microsoft did with the Surface name).

iLife could position the wearable to be more than a mobile companion and could potentially link with more items:-

- iPhone
- iPad
- iPod
- MacBooks
- AppleTV (current)
- Future Apple Television(s)

Possible even
- AirPort Time Capsule access?
- AirPort Music Streaming
- Controls Sonos Players?

Just my thoughts thrown into the mix :)

Just having some thoughts about this idea of trying to guess the name. Obviously it's fun to try to guess... however we really have virtually no idea what this product will be like. We can be pretty confident that it will track fitness and likely allow payments... but we don't really know what it will look like, what kind of screen it will have, what kinds of apps it can run, what full functionality it will have, the primary purpose of it, etc etc...

I'm reminded of Jony Ive when he said that naming the product is always the last thing Apple does, because if you name the product first you start to have some preconceived notion about what the product should be/do.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
the "i" actually has a meaning. it means internet.

That makes complete sense for the original iPod, right? :rolleyes:

I realize that is the meaning, but it has just become something they slap on everything under the sun. They aren't adding the i to inform people their device is in some way internet capable anymore...

Daniel3102

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2014
That makes complete sense for the original iPod, right? :rolleyes:

I realize that is the meaning, but it has just become something they slap on everything under the sun. They aren't adding the i to inform people their device is in some way internet capable anymore...

As a matter of fact, it does make sense for the original iPod. You connected it to iTunes, and iTunes is on the internet :p

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
IPal was a great idea.

This may be a long shot, but I think it's possible that there is no i in the name, but instead use a new naming convention. I think this product will also defy the current design language of the iDevices, because it probably has evolved throughout prototyping to something unexpected (how the first iPhone forged a new design language, it didn't look like an iPod as all the mock ups were expecting). Mac is for traditional PCs, "i" is for handheld portables, and there will be a new name for wearables. They're probably best to make it seem separate, an iWatch would a lot of people into thinking it's an iPhone on a watch.

Just a thought.

the "i" actually has a meaning. it means internet.

It actually means more than just that...
0611_rr_jobs.jpeg

rockarollr

Suspended
Apr 3, 2010
USA
I'm going with iBand. Because this device will do so much more than a watch. Think Healthkit monitor, iPhone extension, Apple TV remote, Homekit controller. All controlled by a new, much more comprehensive Siri and an all new touchscreen user interface.

"Wish we could say more. And now we can. The all new Siri. Everything in your digital life is now just a touch or voice command away."

iMac, iPhone, iPod, iPad, iBand. It just fits.

Yep... iBand. :D

sportello

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2014
Will the iWatch be called the new iPod?

I was thinking about this earlier, and Gruber's latest post spurred me to find out what others think. Will this be Apple's renewal of a former flagship product for a new generation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.