Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

westislander

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Montreal, Quebec Canada
Is anyone else encountering the same issue on iOS 12. Emojis aren't coming up in the prediction bar.
I'm seeing the same issue on an iPhone 8 Plus (Clean install) and an iPhone 7 Plus (OTA). Previously, both were on 11.4.1 and this feature was working.

How-To-Emoji-6-800x306.jpg

If I switch to the emoji keyboard, the word turns orange and when I tap on it, it's replaced by it's emoji equivalent but it's a pain if I have to do this each time.

Did they possibly remove the feature?

I followed steps posted in an iOS 11 thread that worked for some but I had no luck.
Basically it was toggling off and back on prediction in keyboard settings and/or force restarting the device.

Last edited:

westislander

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Montreal, Quebec Canada
I followed the instructions in the link below and their now coming up in the prediction bar.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/11/15/how-to-fix-predictive-emoji-not-working-iphone-ipad/

Basically, go into Messages for example.
1. Pull up the emoji keyboard
2. Select several random emojis then delete them,
3. Go back to the regular keyboard and type something that will suggest an emoji in the prediction bar like smile

That did the trick for me.

As the article states, you may have to repeat the same steps for apps that you can bring up the emoji keyboard like Message, WhatsApp, FB Messenger and so. That was my experience at least.

Reactions: jdechko

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I followed the instructions in the link below and their now coming up in the prediction bar.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/11/15/how-to-fix-predictive-emoji-not-working-iphone-ipad/

Basically, go into Messages for example.
1. Pull up the emoji keyboard
2. Select several random emojis then delete them,
3. Go back to the regular keyboard and type something that will suggest an emoji in the prediction bar like smile

That did the trick for me.

As the article states, you may have to repeat the same steps for apps that you can bring up the emoji keyboard like Message, WhatsApp, FB Messenger and so. That was my experience at least.

Took a few tries to get it to work, but it eventually did. Thanks for the link!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.