Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
So hear me out first of all. If you look at the data in this link seven years ago Windows held about 73% with a max of 75% of the desktop market share versus 52-55% it holds now. Essentially a 20% decrease in 7 years. macOS within the same time frame has gained from about 20% to 34% of the market, or 14%.

So why do I think within the next seven years Apple will overtake Microsoft, shouldn't this trend flatten out? Maybe a little but as I see it by 2030 the marketshares will look like this for desktops:

macOS: 50%

Windows: 39%

ChomeOS: 11%

What would cause these marketshares? Well obviously PCs as a whole are used less overall than mobile and tablet devices, but there is also a Halo effect that Apple has had thanks to the sales of iPads and iPhones (obviously) but also ChromeOS eating at the share thanks to its widespread use in K-12. Age has a lot to do with it as well. I can't actually find the link but a few weeks ago I happened upon a poll that said 40% of college students have Macs vs 50% Windows and 10% Chrome OS, with I believe 30% of the Windows/Chrome users saying they would buy a Mac if they could afford it or essentially 80% of college students.

So what else would happen to help Apple out in these next 7 years? Well, OLED screens, cheaper models (rumored a laptop that will take on higher end Chromebooks so a $800-900 computer), and most importantly their bet on Apple silicon and their tight integration with it, as the vast majority of PCs continue going that way as well.

Of course, overall macOS is still used far less than almost any computing solution currently, but combined, they already have the majority of consumers in United States (as well as Canada) and macOS will likely also become the major OS of another few countries such as Canada in the future as well.

Either way, this is super crazy to someone who has been using the macOS platform for quite a long time and something that no one could have ever imagined would ever happen. Hopefully, if my predictions are true this will encourage developers to make even more software for macOS, specifically games, which honestly there does seem to be somewhat of a small gaming renaissance already happening.

Thoughts?

• Haha
Reactions: cateye

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
And this is where I posit your suggestion falls apart. High-margin Apple is doing very well as high-margin price points.
Well as I said, there are rumors they are working on making cheaper Macbooks, and besides that the slope overall shows no matter what Apple will hit the majority by 2030, it just might not be as huge as 50%.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
I say not gonna happen. Windows is a better OS at this point. Better file management, better UI/UX. The only thing Apple has is the connectivity. Yes, that is a big thing, but not THAT big. Could MS screw it up? Yeah, maybe. But I think not.

• Haha
Reactions: jdb8167

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I say not gonna happen. Windows is a better OS at this point. Better file management, better UI/UX. The only thing Apple has is the connectivity. Yes, that is a big thing, but not THAT big. Could MS screw it up? Yeah, maybe. But I think not.
What? Better UI/UX? Better OS? MacOS is Unix. Please. What could you complain about with macOS file management? Try to open a 1 GB text file on macOS and then try the same thing on Windows and let us know how it goes.

Reactions: Chuckeee

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014

I use both but Mac is better at file management and has better UI/UX. Case in point Mac has Quick Look which makes file management leagues better than Windows. Yes, Windows has some nice features like their native window management, but really all that Windows has going for it is gaming. If Apple put serious work into supporting decent AAA gaming, I'm willing to bet a huge chunk of Gen Z and Gen Alpha would switch to Mac in a heartbeat. Right now 95% of gamers buy Windows. Apple won't touch the highest end of Nvidia performance so that number might shrink to maybe 60% or even 30% down the line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.