Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I hope any device made in 2012 is unsupported... Time to buy a new computer OP xD

Not when Apple haven’t redesigned the iMac it isn’t. Also fixing the keyboard on the MacBooks is a must before I buy.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Because I feel like people can afford a new computer every 3-4 years... If you're still rocking a 2012 computer that shows you don't save or invest in computers.. Its 50 cents a day over 7 years (its 2019 now). For example having a cigarette addiction costs 5-10 times more than saving for a computer.

Wow really, what about other factors? Such as the fact that Apple need to fix the keyboards on the MacBook lineup? OR that people like myself are waiting for Apple to redesign the iMac before buying a new one.
[doublepost=1557507249][/doublepost]
The keyboard is not bad once you get used to it. I really like my 2016 MacBook Pro

I’m not talking about getting use to the new design of the keyboard, I’m talking about the failure rate of the keys and the keyboard itself. Something Apple came out and apologised for not to long ago.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I mean if you really care about the hardware esthetics more than the software experience (which evolves every year), then wait for new hardware.. Just don't complain Apple locked you out because you refused to keep up with hardware upgrades.
[doublepost=1557507378][/doublepost]

My keyboard hasn't failed- And Apple fixed those problems... So you have no reason now not to buy a new Mac if you're rockin an old one from pre-2015 days.

I’m sorry but you really don’t know what you are talking about. Apple haven’t fixed those issues, the third gen butterfly keyboard is still failing. Even the new MacBook Air is having the same issues, just because your keyboard isn’t having the issue, doesn’t mean other people aren’t.

Edit: look at these articles and the fact that Apple has even apologised over the third gen keyboard. Thus they have not fixed the issue.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te...-butterfly-keyboards-at-basecamp-have-failed/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ma...ologizes-about-third-gen-keyboard-issues/amp/

Last edited:

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Apple tends to have a two year cycle of OS releases recently. One version adds many features and drops support for some Macs, while the next is mostly bug fixes and small improvements. For example, Yosemite to El Capitan, and Sierra to High Sierra. (Though there are many exceptions to this rule.)

I would guess that the next release will be to Mojave what High Sierra was to Sierra: stability improvements in place of actual new features. I doubt any hardware will lose support.

However, with that said... with the likely complete removal of OpenGL, all our unsupported Macs may suffer greatly. A fully Metal-based WindowServer will likely spell the end for macOS on non-Metal GPUs (like the nVidia Tesla chip in my MacBook :( ).
I agree.
It was usually obvious what models Apple is going to drop; Mojave drops non-Metal Macs, Sierra drops non-SSE4.1 supported CPUs, Mountain Lion drops EFI32 firmware and older OpenGL frameworks, etc. I ended up giving up on getting the GMA models for Mavericks - High Sierra fully with Graphics Acceleration with my OSXH patches.
I reckon when Apple announces a new Framework or other technologies that have cut-offs, we'll know for sure which Macs are going next. For now, though, I believe all current Mojave supported-Macs are going to get macOS 10.15. There's not much groundbreaking difference between the 2012-2015 models besides slightly faster chipsets and slightly better graphics.

Reactions: ASentientBot

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Because I feel like people can afford a new computer every 3-4 years... If you're still rocking a 2012 computer that shows you don't save or invest in computers.. Its 50 cents a day over 7 years (its 2019 now). For example having a cigarette addiction costs 5-10 times more than saving for a computer.

I would keep a car for 10 years- but I would not keep a computer for almost 10 years... Thats crazy.
I couldn’t disagree more. To me, a computer, like a car, is a tool made for a purpose. I will only upgrade if it’s no longer able to serve its purpose (eg. it breaks, my needs change, etc), or if there is a new feature(s) that I think will be beneficial enough to make upgrading worth it. If it was possible, I’d keep my current computer (and car) for the rest of my life. So many other things I’d rather spend that money on.
I’ve saved many thousands of dollars by not upgrading my devices unnecessarily. So upgrading for the sake of upgrading, as you seem to be suggesting, seems financially unwise to me. Of course, if owning new devices is one’s hobby, that’s one’s prerogative. I have hobbies I spend money on too. But then I don’t impose them on others.

Last edited:

souko

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2017
So every Mac that got Mojave will get Catalina? (Maybe Mac Pros from 2010 no?)

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
Welp they finally dropped CheeseGrater I from the supported models for Catalina. Not surprising since there's a new one.

I bet the price of RX580s will drop even more now that there's no future for 5,1s.. from Apple.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
This is a super pleasant surprise that my two 2012 macs are supported.
Same here... My 2012 MBP and 2012 Mac Minis are supported. It's almost hard to believe but the 2012 Mini was sold into year 2014 before the 2014 Mini came out. I believe Apple supports the hardware with full OS updates at least five years after it was last sold as new and without a replacement model of the same type. MacOS Catalina will have security updates for another two years after 2019 which takes extended OS security updates into the late 2021. This is impressive support for hardware first released in 2012.

It's a big reason I purchased Macs to begin with... good technical support, ease of use, UNIX based OS security, extended OS update support, long lasting build quality. The 2018 Minis seem to be a good hardware update. I'm hoping that in the next two years the build quality control returns to what it used to be before some of the recent reported keyboard issues with the last few model years of Mac notebooks/laptops... by then I might warm up to the idea of a brand new MBP.

Now I will probably have to update from 32 bit MS Office 2011 for Mac to the latest 64 bit MS Office 2019 for Mac since 32 bit support has been reported as ending with Mojave.

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Same here... My 2012 MBP and 2012 Mac Minis are supported. It's almost hard to believe but the 2012 Mini was sold into year 2014 before the 2014 Mini came out. I believe Apple supports the hardware at least five years after it was last sold as new and without a replacement model of the same type. MacOS Catalina will have security updates for another two years after 2019 which takes extended security updates into the late 2021. This is impressive support for hardware first released in 2012.

It's a big reason I purchased Macs to begin with... good technical support, ease of use, UNIX based OS security, extended OS update support, long lasting build quality. The 2018 Minis seem to be a good hardware update. I'm hoping that in the next two years the build quality control returns to what it used to be before some of the recent reported keyboard issues with the last few model years of Mac notebooks/laptops... by then I might warm up to the idea of a brand new MBP.
On Mac we're looking at 7-8 years on a current MacOS when Windows and Linux machines can run the latest version of Windows or Linux for 10+ years. That's not what I'd call extended OS support.
[doublepost=1559595820][/doublepost]MacOS support should be 9 or 10 years for high-end Macs. Not 7 or 8.

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
On Mac we're looking at 7-8 years on a current MacOS when Windows and Linux machines can run the latest version of Windows or Linux for 10+ years. That's not what I'd call extended OS support.
You install and run the latest version of Windows or Linux as dedicated OS's on most 2012 or older Macs as well. ;)

I have a friend who just installed the latest Windows 10 on a ten year old Mac Pro and he said all the hardware and devices are supported and the machine is fully functional. For Macs after 2012 you can run the latest Windows 10 in bootcamp or use Windows XP, 7, 8, 10 and Linux in a virtual machine. I should be able to run the latest Windows VMs on my 2012 Macs to 2025 or beyond.

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
You install and run the latest version of Windows or Linux on most 2012 or older Macs as well. ;)

I have a friend who just installed the latest Windows 10 on a ten year old Mac Pro and he said all the hardware and devices are supported and the machine is fully functional.
Is that what you mean by extended OS support? Seems a little counter-intuitive to throw that in when talking about all the benefits of Macs or MacOS, since being able to run Windows or Linux clearly has nothing to do with Macs or MacOS.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
Is that what you mean by extended OS support? Seems a little counter-intuitive to throw that in when talking about all the benefits of Macs or MacOS, since being able to run Windows or Linux clearly has nothing to do with Macs or MacOS.
Windows 10 isn't a good OS to use for comparison since MS doesn't directly support specific computer system hardware. Their hardware support is provided as device drivers by hardware manufacturers such as Intel, NVidia, AMD, etc.. The individual PC manufacturers are responsible for full machine hardware support which is usually up to 5 years. Since Apple sells their own hardware and provides many of their approved drivers for OSX/MacOS they have to have a reasonable cut-off point for their latest OS support. I consider 7-8 years of extended update support not just reasonable but good.

Consider also that even Windows 7 SP1 from 2009-2012 is not supported on many newer Intel and AMD CPU based machines from 2017 and later.

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Windows 10 isn't a good OS to use for comparison since MS doesn't directly support specific computer system hardware. The hardware support is provided as device drivers by hardware manufacturers such as Intel, NVidia, AMD, etc.. Since Apple sells their own hardware and provide their own drivers for OSX/MacOS they have to have a reasonable cut-off point for OS support. I consider 7-8 years as not just reasonable but very good.
9-10 years is reasonable for the Mac. 7-8 is not.
Consider also that even Windows 7 from 2009 and 8, 8.1 released in 2012-2014 are not supported on newer Intel and AMD CPU based machines from 2017 and later.
Ever tried installing Snow Leopard on a 2017 Mac?

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
9-10 years is reasonable for the Mac. 7-8 is not.

Ever tried installing Snow Leopard on a 2017 Mac?
I understand your arguments and you made some very good points especially relating to the newer Macs. It's true that Apple hardware became more proprietary after 2012 and with the new T2 chips the hardware is even more locked down but you need to consider much of the same is happening with Windows machines. Most of the newer PC machines from 2017 and later can only run Windows 10.

MS only supports each new version of Windows 10 for 1.5 to 2 years after release before you have to update to the latest version to continue to receive updates... That's about the same as the 2 year extended support Apple offers for each release of MacOS. MS can end it's latest Windows 10 version support for much older PC machines at any time. Therefore I just don't see Windows 10 as being a good reference of extended support for your argument.

Last edited:

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
macOS Catalina supports:

MacBook 2015 and later
MacBook Air 2012 and later
MacBook Pro 2012 and later
Mac mini 2012 and later
iMac 2012 and later
iMac Pro 2017 and later
Mac Pro 2013 and later

If this is true, it is ridiculous that my father's entry level Mac Mini from 2012 with a slow SATA drive and 4 gigs of ram gets the update to Catalina, but my vastly superior metal enabled Mac Pro does not. You would almost think Apple did this deliberately.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
If this is true, it is ridiculous that my father's entry level Mac Mini from 2012 with a slow SATA drive and 4 gigs of ram gets the update to Catalina, but my vastly superior metal enabled Mac Pro does not. You would almost think Apple did this deliberately.

I guess it's time for the new Mac Pro upgrade

... starting at $5999 USD. :D

or what's the saying about the Apple not falling far from the tree?...You could follow in your father's footsteps and upgrade to a high spec six-core i7 2018 Mac Mini instead.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.