Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
I've seen a few posts asking if the new iPhone SE is expected to get a price drop during the regular iPhone upgrade window in the fall. If you don't think it will, when would it get it—the following September/October release cycle, an arbitrary point in-between, or afterwards?

Same question goes for a higher storage capacity option of 512 GB to match the amount on some other models (iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max, and XS and XS Max).

I think it's too soon to see either this year, but perhaps next fall one of the two will happen.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I've seen a few posts asking if the new iPhone SE is expected to get a price drop during the regular iPhone upgrade window in the fall. If you don't think it will, when would it get it—the following September/October release cycle, an arbitrary point in-between, or afterwards?

Same question goes for a higher storage capacity option of 512 GB to match the amount on some other models (iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max, and XS and XS Max).

I think it's too soon to see either this year, but perhaps next fall one of the two will happen.

Apple will not drop the SE price point below $399. (And nor did they reduce the price of the 2016 SE below $399). It’s priced as low as it will be for MSRP. If you want a reduced price, that would have to come through third-party carriers with promotions or trade-in values.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Guess that really depends on the seller. I don’t recall Apple running any special discounts on the SE. It’s their entry level device. If anything it should serve as an up sell incentive to buy a higher tier iPhone with more options.

Marlon DLTH :)

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2020
A year after the original SE was launched, it got a storage increase from 16gb to 32gb, and when the iPhone 8 and X were released, it got a price drop from 399 to 349.

We can expect something similar.

Reactions: JM and JPack

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
should've gotten in on the Walmart deal at launch

was $200 off to do it with carrier financing which you could pay off in full

Its since expired but ran for a while longer than I expected I think through sometime in July or June iirc.

Maybe next time retailers will discount will be Black Friday. But even then, not known since it may be selling really well already with the way its priced as is

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
A year after the original SE was launched, it got a storage increase from 16gb to 32gb, and when the iPhone 8 and X were released, it got a price drop from 399 to 349.

We can expect something similar.

Agreed, we saw Apple drop the price of the iPhone SE to $349 in late 2017. I think Apple will do the same thing to SE2 in 2021.

With the SE2 Plus coming, Apple has to make room in their price stack. If the XR remains as a carrier-only model, it'll bump into SE2 Plus territory unless the 4.7" SE2 drops in price.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
Hopefully it goes on sale Im rooting for it to

You can actually find the phones go on sale right now if you just catch them most likely at Walmart and Best Buy

jent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Glad I did a search before posting a new thread ?

Google News shot this at my "Recommended for You"

I was really wondering if the SE would drop to $350 in the Fall. Perhaps it will?
I'm not sure what to think but I'm hopeful. The timing would work well for me too.

Last edited:
Reactions: JM

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Probably not until the SE2 Plus comes out sometime next year.
Consider this: The 12's come out with 128GB of storage, SE is "only" 64.

$50 difference between storage bases seems like an easily understandable difference for general consumers, and something Apple has a history of doing with their pricing.

OR they bump the SE to 128 GB base and keep the $399. Probably not, though.... It makes more sense to me to drop to $349 with 64 GB.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
should've gotten in on the Walmart deal at launch

was $200 off to do it with carrier financing which you could pay off in full

Its since expired but ran for a while longer than I expected I think through sometime in July or June iirc.

Maybe next time retailers will discount will be Black Friday. But even then, not known since it may be selling really well already with the way its priced as is
Check in store my friend. My local Walmart had it going still through carrier financing. (The original deal was through carrier financing, too, though.... which could be paid off immediately, haha.)

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Consider this: The 12's come out with 128GB of storage, SE is "only" 64.

$50 difference between storage bases seems like an easily understandable difference for general consumers, and something Apple has a history of doing with their pricing.

OR they bump the SE to 128 GB base and keep the $399. Probably not, though.... It makes more sense to me to drop to $349 with 64 GB.

Apple is typically motivated to reduce pricing only when new iPhones are released and affect the product stack. There is nothing this year that is expected to touch $399.

Also, the TrendForce report today suggests only the iPhone 5G Pro family will get 128GB base. The other two models will stay with 64GB. Given the penny pinching move of removing the power adapter and EarPods, this prediction seems likely.

• Wow

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Check in store my friend. My local Walmart had it going still through carrier financing. (The original deal was through carrier financing, too, though.... which could be paid off immediately, haha.)

oh I meant OP should have.

I already got on it, launch day ;)

Had to go through hoops to get the phone unlocked, because something got messed up in the process, but in the end I got a $250 128GB unlocked white SE2020

• Wow

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
oh I meant OP should have.

I already got on it, launch day ;)

Had to go through hoops to get the phone unlocked, because something got messed up in the process, but in the end I got a $250 128GB unlocked white SE2020
You're joking! I should go try to get something "messed up in process" to get the deal. I got on a "free" iphone 7 a year ago with Verizon, paid by Verizon in 24 month credits to the bill....

Guess what I don't qualify for until the phone is paid off either through credits or me..... An Upgrade.

Which means I can't get that $200 iphone SE unless I pay off the iphone 7 myself. which negates that "free" iphone 7.

?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Reactions: thadoggfather

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
You're joking! I should go try to get something "messed up in process" to get the deal. I got on a "free" iphone 7 a year ago with Verizon, paid by Verizon in 24 month credits to the bill....

Guess what I don't qualify for until the phone is paid off either through credits or me..... An Upgrade.

Which means I can't get that $200 iphone SE unless I pay off the iphone 7 myself. which negates that "free" iphone 7.

?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

haha it wasn't a good mess up. It was just locked for longer than it needed to be.

Having the phone unlocked if you pay it outright through the carrier vs. do the monthly installments, ensures unlock.

Reactions: JM and rui no onna

rami.deltoro

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2020
Just got it for 49$ with a metro PCS and an iPhone 7 for free. Pretty sweet deal. Although there are a few LTE dark spots here in Tampa that make data unusable...smh

Reactions: tt061282

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
Just got it for 49$ with a metro PCS and an iPhone 7 for free. Pretty sweet deal. Although there are a few LTE dark spots here in Tampa that make data unusable...smh

This really is a good deal that Metro is running especially if you’re in an area where Metro is good. I’ve never personally had any issues with Metro at all when I used them.

Even the iPhone 7 is a good deal. The A10 chip still runs amicable to this day. Apple has still used it in newer devices.

Did the Metro store you go to only have Black? Or did they have Red as well? Just curious. I have the SE myself already, but am thinking of getting my kids lines thru Metro for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.