Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tony27nine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2010
My predictive text has developed a very annoying habit of replacing we with W.E for some strange reason. Given that we is a pretty common word and that W.E has no obvious meaning I can’t understand why it would do this. Any ideas?

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
My predictive text has developed a very annoying habit of replacing we with W.E for some strange reason. Given that we is a pretty common word and that W.E has no obvious meaning I can’t understand why it would do this. Any ideas?
No idea why either, but resetting your keyboard dictionary should fix it.

Settings—>General—>Reset—>Reset Keyboard Dictionary.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
This has become a too common issue in iOS 11.x. Resetting the dictionary helps for a while, then the issue returns.

For me it isn't the "W.E.", I did have the it issue, rather it replaces words automatically even with that specific feature turned off and the replacements very frequently make little sense or are grammatically incorrect.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

I use the Text Replacement feature for these scenarios. Whenever I tried to type “the” it would be replaced with “RJ” for some reason, drove me crazy. Using Text Replacement, I told iOS to interpret a few misspellings of “the” and then the term “RJ” as specifically “the” and I haven’t had a problem since.

Reactions: dk001

Tony27nine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2010
No idea why either, but resetting your keyboard dictionary should fix it.

Settings—>General—>Reset—>Reset Keyboard Dictionary.
Thanks for the suggestion. Did a keyboard reset but still got the issue....
[doublepost=1513025017][/doublepost]
I use the Text Replacement feature for these scenarios. Whenever I tried to type “the” it would be replaced with “RJ” for some reason, drove me crazy. Using Text Replacement, I told iOS to interpret a few misspellings of “the” and then the term “RJ” as specifically “the” and I haven’t had a problem since.

Thank you for this. Apologies if this sounds a bit dumb but could you explain how the text replacement feature works please...

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Thanks for the suggestion. Did a keyboard reset but still got the issue....
[doublepost=1513025017][/doublepost]

Thank you for this. Apologies if this sounds a bit dumb but could you explain how the text replacement feature works please...
Settings > General > Keyboard > Text Replacement

It automatically replaces something that you type with whatever the replacement is set to as you type. For example the default text replacement changes "omw" to "On my way!"

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

This feature allows you to override predictive text and assign a word for another word.

So...go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Text Replacement and hit the plus sign.

Set "W.E" as the Shortcut and "we" as the Phrase. And set "we" as the Shortcut and "we" as the phrase. What you're telling the iPhone is that if it sees "W.E" it should ignore that input and type "we" instead. That should do it.

Tony27nine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2010
This feature allows you to override predictive text and assign a word for another word.

So...go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Text Replacement and hit the plus sign.

Set "W.E" as the Shortcut and "we" as the Phrase. And set "we" as the Shortcut and "we" as the phrase. What you're telling the iPhone is that if it sees "W.E" it should ignore that input and type "we" instead. That should do it.

Thank you for getting back. I’ve done exactly what you suggested and it still insists on replacing we with W.E.... it’s so infuriating!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.