Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maceditor87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2019
I am trying to decide to get a refurbished iMac Pro for $4,000 (see link below) or a highly configured 2019 iMac, which almost comes to $4,000 when you include Apple Care, upgraded Ram and tax.

I watched this review and it seems like Premiere Pro runs better on the 2019 iMac - am I missing something? Any Premiere users have thoughts?

Video Test

iMac Pro for $4000
http://ipowerresale.com/product/27-imac-pro-8-core-3-2-5k-late-2017-space-gray-2/?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I mean, the guy pretty much says why. The i9 in the new iMac is faster than the base Xeon in the old iMac Pro and can turbo boost faster for tasks that don't utilize much in the way of multithreading. The iMac Pro has a faster GPU. This means for some tasks the 5K iMac will be faster, and for other tasks the iMac Pro will be faster, depending on what type of workload and what the application is optimized for. Get what works best based on your workflow and software. The iMac Pro will probably be updated this autumn or early next year. If I were them I would wait for Ice Lake because Pro machines are usually on a longer upgrade cycle and the benefits of the 10nm process from Intel will result in much larger speed improvements. The only problem is will Intel ever ship a 10nm chip? They keep putting them off.

TheyCallMeBT

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
Max says in that video that he's been talking to some people at Adobe. And that they said they are working on improvements to Premiere for this year. I imagine that means making better use of graphics card usage. So the tests where the iMac Pro performed worse may be different starting in a few months. Same goes for the scenarios where Premiere performs way worse than the other two, like in stabilization.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.