Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Studios are not going to take a pay cut so you can get tv for $10 per channel. Neither are all the people who make those programs happen
I think you are missing the point. $10 per channel would be very expensive. CBS + NBC + ABC alone would be $30 per month. I think what people want is the ability to stream what they want to a small STB for a reasonable price. I do believe the cable companies are coming around with packages like the TWC Start TV Package where you get around 20 channels for between $10 and $20 per month on top of your Internet Package. Then you can simply add HBO etc. for $15 a month. I believe these options are the future and are already showing up. TWC Cable also has an App that runs on Roku where you can get most of your channels without a Cable Box. For me the huge problem is not the cost of the content is the cost of the "hardware". TWC wants $11.25 per month for 1 STB. This to me is the crazy part. And the DVR's are much worse. This is why I welcome any and all streaming channels. It does not matter to me if I get the content from a cable company or iTunes or whatever. Just allow me to use my own hardware. I do not think the studios would suffer if I was allowed to use my own hardware. Do you?

ErikB9

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2014
We traditional broadcasters only care about verifiable eyeballs. Something we can take to the local car dealer/grocer/ad agency/whoever and say "See! Advertise with us for X dollars and you'll be seen by Y many people!"

The cable companies invested (many times heavily) into the infrastructure (physical copper and fiber in the ground, the head-ends, etc.) and sold their subscribers' eyeballs to the networks. "See! Sign this agreement and we'll deliver X potential eyeballs and even Y amount of dollars to your revenue stream. Provided of course that you play by these rules which state you can't offer your services a la carte and cut us out of the deal."

I haven't had cable or satellite for a little over 5 years now. A decrease of income (loss of good job, low unemployment income, lower-paying new job), rendered paying $30-60 or more per month for cable or satellite too expensive to budget. I've changed my viewing habits to a more a la carte form- watching favorite shows on networks' websites, on HuluPlus ($7.99/mo), or purchasing individual shows and seasons on iTunes, Amazon, or Vudu. One season of a given favorite show is equivalent or less in cost to one month of a cable/satellite subscription, and there are way less than 12 shows unavailable for free or bundled into HuluPlus that I pay for, so I end up spending less than I otherwise would for a year of service.

I would be willing to pay a reasonable price to stream a local network affiliate's broadcast, commercials and programs, or that of a given cable-only network. Isn't there a way to do this? Isn't an IP address trackable, X more potential and verifiable eyeballs, Y more potential dollars from which the Networks, cable/satellite providers, and advertisers could get a cut of the revenue? That many more people watching advertiser's messages? I would also be willing to pay a reasonable pay-per-view price for events such as the Oscars telecast, the Olympics, a season and post-season of NFL, again with shares of the revenue distributed to the traditional recipients.

It seems to me that a lot of people are in my economic boat, share similar viewing habits, and would be willing to pay a bit more than they do now for their internet-provided TV-viewing. (I'm already considering upping my $7.99 per month to $15.98 by adding Netflix). I don't know what the overall numbers and potential revenue would amount to (polling, surveys, demographics could give an idea), but I do know that, at least from me, there's money to be made that isn't being made, and can't be made in the foreseeable future.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to run to Best Buy and get myself a $50 iTunes gift card to redeem so that I can watch the new Doctor Who season ($39.99, new episodes available the next day) without having to wait until next year for it to show up on Hulu or Netflix.

paulrustad101

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
Apple, Apple, Appple....please do this ONE thing

I Love all the channels on Apple TV. I love being able to watch HBO, etc...but I hate having to CONSTANTLY enter in my Xfinity credentials all the freaking time. Please, can you have the box remember by username and password for Xfinity/Comcast? It would save a lot of problems. And time.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
although it's not that expensive, i really dislike the idea of paying for cable TV when I don't want to watch live TV for anything other than sports; it's a matter of principle.

maybe if they offered sports only cable TV i would consider it but until then, i will keep my house without live television

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.