Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1984world

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
Hello,

I keep hearing that a jailbreak MAY be coming out soon-which I would be interested in.

I recently purchased an ATV3 and have not updated it to the 5.1.1 software that was released in the last few weeks. Questions:

1-Is there anything I need to do to "prepare" my ATV3 for a possible jailbreak (and procedures to do so and/or link would be great!)?

2-What I'm trying to achieve by a jailbreak (or if there is another easy method) to be able to access all the media on my main computer (I have about 14 terabytes of movies, tv shows, music, etc.) that is currently in various formats (ie. avi, mkv, etc.). I currently have 7 televisions and 4 laptops and 2 pc's in my house, but no apple computers (but do have iphones, ipods, ipad, etc.). I want to be able to access the media on each of the televisions (I will obviously purchase more ATV3's for the other televisions as the current one is in my bedroom) without converting it to itunes friendly format (like i currently do for my ipods).

So question is, is there a way to currently stream/access my computer media through a non jailbroken ATV3 without converting?

Thanks for taking the time to read through my long, drag on sentences, and (hopefully!) providing answers!

:)

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
So question is, is there a way to currently stream/access my computer media through a non jailbroken ATV3 without converting?

This q should have been asked in the Apple TV forum instead. The answer is no, unfortunately - you in no way can stream any videos from a non-Mac / non-iOS device; for example, from a UPnP / SMB / FTP / HTTP / WebDAV NAS. From an iOS device / Mac, you can only stream iOS / ATV-native formats (mov / mp4 / m4v). AirPlay Mirroring, as is currently implemented, can't deliver the same video quality than native playback so even if you do have a mirroring-enabled iPhone (4S+) / iPod touch (5+) / iPad (2+) / Mac (2011+ models), you won't get the same quality when playing back MKV's as with just remuxing those MKV's to an ATV-native format (mov / mp4 / m4v).

activemind

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
Hello,

I keep hearing that a jailbreak MAY be coming out soon-which I would be interested in.

I recently purchased an ATV3 and have not updated it to the 5.1.1 software that was released in the last few weeks. Questions:

1-Is there anything I need to do to "prepare" my ATV3 for a possible jailbreak (and procedures to do so and/or link would be great!)?

2-What I'm trying to achieve by a jailbreak (or if there is another easy method) to be able to access all the media on my main computer (I have about 14 terabytes of movies, tv shows, music, etc.) that is currently in various formats (ie. avi, mkv, etc.). I currently have 7 televisions and 4 laptops and 2 pc's in my house, but no apple computers (but do have iphones, ipods, ipad, etc.). I want to be able to access the media on each of the televisions (I will obviously purchase more ATV3's for the other televisions as the current one is in my bedroom) without converting it to itunes friendly format (like i currently do for my ipods).

Thanks for taking the time to read through my long, drag on sentences, and (hopefully!) providing answers!

:)

For the time being, there is a way to stream your contents from your PC to ATV3. You can use Plex or AirVideo on your iPad or iPhone to play your content from your PC, and then AirPlay it to your ATV3. It works great and I have been using it for quite some time.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
For the time being, there is a way to stream your contents from your PC to ATV3. You can use Plex or AirVideo on your iPad or iPhone to play your content from your PC, and then AirPlay it to your ATV3. It works great and I have been using it for quite some time.

I ahve been using AirVideo to stream some old MST3K avi's to my appleTV, it has been working well. I wanted to just convert them and put in iTunes but each time i tired the audi would be out of sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.